Chest of tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compass Planes - Wheelrights and Shiprights?

All the chisels seem to have been badly re-handled in the past, or was it usual to have so much of the Tang exposed?

And, (genuine question) does anybody know why those saws were made with a concave top edge on the blades?

Tony Spear":1h049l84 said:
And, (genuine question) does anybody know why those saws were made with a concave top edge on the blades?

The skew back was invented and patented by Henry Disston in 1874. The patent claim said:

"The object of my invention is to construct a handsaw which shall be lighter more easy to handle stronger in proportion to the amount of metal used in the blade and more free from tremor in the hands of the operator than ordinary handsaws and this object I attain by making the back of the blade of the form illustrated in the accompanying drawing"

patents

(More detail here: http://www.google.com/patents/US152347)

Now, I expect the facts of the case can be argued at length, but even if they skew back is not superior in use, it certainly looks more elegant, so it would have been an early example of a manufacturer realising the potential of strong branding, with a clear visual identity - though I don't expect he would have described it in quite those words!

Hi, Tony

The compass plane can be used by anyone making curved sufaces.
All the chiseld haven't been re-handled they all look orignal and the handles are tight to the bolsters none tang is exposed.

Pete

Back