Chess set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paisawood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't posted for some years but having just finished making a chess set as a christmas present for one of my grandsons I thought that I would post a couple of pictures.

The chess board was fairly straightforward and was made from bandsaw cut 1.5mm veneers (walnut and maple) which were glued to a birch ply base. A balancing beech veneer was glued to the back. I don't have a wide belt sander so sanding and scraping everything level took quite a while. I found that the thick veneers were too thick to easily cut with a scalpel so I bought a cheap Kirschen veneer saw from Amazon and was pleased to find that (after sharpening the saw and cutting against a straight edge) ) I could glue the strips of veneer together without sanding or planing. The board was finished off with 5 coats of Liberon satin interior varnish.

I don't do much turning so there was a bit of variability between the sizes of the different chess pieces (most noticeable on the pawns) but not excessively so. Progress was fairly slow but by the end my skew chisel skills had improved considerably. The wood was walnut for the dark pieces and sycamore for the light ones. I drilled a 20mm diameter hole in the base of each blank for mounting the pieces on the lathe and once complete I glued a 6mm thick brass disk into each hole before glueing felt onto the base. This gave the pieces a satisfying weight. The pieces were finished with Chestnut friction polish although without a buffing wheel I couldn't get much of a shine on the knights,

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg

Hope this is of interest.

David

Attachments

• IMG_2996.jpg
    IMG_2996.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_3001.jpg
    IMG_3001.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_3005.jpg
    IMG_3005.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_2976.jpg
    IMG_2976.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_2984.jpg
    IMG_2984.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 679
Thank you all for the kind comments. Grandson was very pleased.

I spent ages worrying about how to make the knights but in the end I just turned the bases, cut a flattish surfact on the tops and then used the bandsaw to cut around a glued on print of a horses head. Finished off with rasps. files and sandpaper.

Regards

David

Latest posts

Back