chess pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've been persuaded by my daughter to make her a chess set.I am using sycamore for the white pieces but I am stuck with what to use for black(or dark). I have tried elm but couldn't get any detail on the pieces,Beech was too light and oak not quite enough of a contrast.I also tried wood die but it looks awful and shows any little blemish. Any ideas anybody? I can't afford ebony .

Taffy Turner":2scenr2c said:
How about beech and a can of Chestnut ebonising lacquer? (Cheapest solution)

Failing that, some Ironwood, or Teak, or Mahogany, or Padauk, or Lignum Vitae, or African Blackwood?

Have a look at http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk for some more ideas of dark coloured woods.

Jaymar,

Worth asking for there catalouge, the front few pages have pics of bowls etc to give you an idea of what the colour looks like

I like the sound of the ebonising laquer, does it really make pale wood look like ebony? If so I will get some, I have a good supply of beech.Thanks everybody.

Jaymar

Are you going to turn/carve all the piecesl or use brass fittings for the heads etc, i noticed Craft do a set of heads for 13.00 which really finish off the project???

Tony, I did see the Craft tops but I wasn't too keen as they are "brass finish". Plus my eldest wants a set in wood.I've turned half the set except the knight but as I cannot see myself carving a horse's head as a first effort at carving I came up with an alternative.I'll post some piccies when I finish

jaymar":3qvr48bx said:
I like the sound of the ebonising laquer, does it really make pale wood look like ebony? If so I will get some, I have a good supply of beech.Thanks everybody.

In my (limited) exerience it works very well. On beech, almost no grain shows though, but on ash, then the grain does show thorugh, although the more coats you apply, the less grain is visible.

Back