Chess pieces finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian

Reaction score
Hi all. Newbie to the world of turning here. But I started turning these chess pieces and I was wondering if someone can let me know the best finishes and stains. Turning them from Ash... I think. Thanks. D

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_162126.jpg
    IMG_20210331_162126.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 14
Thank you Duncan.
Really good article and very detailed, I will give it a go.
I have turned a few bowls out of pine in Feb but wood very soft and my son loves playing chess so I decided to take on the challenge. Let's see how it goes

Maybe just a clear wax and buff up would suffice, quicker and easier to do :unsure::) lots of different stains out there to give the colour contrast needed.

Nice piece(y)
That lacquer article is very good. I recently used melamine lacquer (non aerosol) for the first time and found it pretty easy, you have to work relatively quickly though. I left the piece mounted on the lathe whilst finishing and dropped the speed down to 'very slow' (about 80 rpm). That certainly made it easier. The nice thing about lacquer is it doesn't darken the wood much, which is useful for ash and melamine isn't overly glossy.

Another alternative would be a hard wax oil or a finishing oil. In my experience, hard wax oils bring out a nicer colour and you can choose matt, satin or gloss (you can also use burnishing cream or buff them when they have cured if required). Finishing oils can make ash go very yellow.

if you do go with "just" a clear wax, or a wax of any form you need to seal the wood first or you will be forever reapplying it. sanding sealer will do fine and wont change the colour of the wood.

Back