Chess Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonStevensCanes

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to try making a chess cabinet with this design as the inspiration.

I don't have the skillset or inclination to turn the pieces, so I am planning a boxy somewhat abstract design that I can manage with the bandsaw and some (very) limited hand carving. Perhaps the pieces get replaced at a later date when my skills/ambitions have improved.

My initial plan was to use maple and walnut, but I remembered that I have some teak that I've been saving for an heirloom project, and I'm wondering whether that will work in place of the walnut. The teak ageing to a lighter greyer colour than walnut gives me some pause, but google images of teak chess boards seem reassuring. I'd be interested in any thoughts one way or another?

Before I get started, I'm a bit unsure about how I should approach the board and would appreciate any guidance that can be offered....

I have seen previous projects have used a plywood substrate, laminated the playing squares and edged with solid wood. Presumably this is beneficial for wood movement, or is that not such a concern for a project such as this?

As I don't see splines in any of the boards for sale, I assume that the inherent weakness of mitre corners is not an issue due to the solid middle (unlike frames for example)? Or are the splines just hidden (beneath laminate maybe)?

Any other recommendations for a novice (but overly ambitious) woodworker are entirely welcome :).

Personally I would never consider Teak as a substitute for Walnut!
Maple & Walnut just 'work' together and Teak - in my experience - is too soft and oily.

Last edited:
mtmwood on YT is an absolute star when it comes to boards.

I followed his methods when I did my effort - much easier than trying to glue individual squares to a base.

Having said that, this guy might be worth a watch, he makes one here out of veneers that looks very nice.

My effort, beech & iroko
40mm_squares.jpg

Back