Chess Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom-piercy

Reaction score
Thought I'd share my chess board, oak and mahogany. Trying to work out how to make some Draught and Chess pieces. No lathe available.

Attachments

• 20220223_100026.jpg
    20220223_100026.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 60
Nicely made. I always feel the standard Staunton set are a bridge too far - for me a least but good luck. !

I love chess boards. Yours is very nicely made; no gaps or misalignments. I made one ...oh decades ago... when I was at school. I've been planning to make one using a bit of ebony I acquired a few years ago (about 22 years ago if memory serves; should be well seasoned by now :) ). I just have to get up the courage to put saw to ebony! This year...probably!

Square or any other shape you like. I know turned ones are the standard but can also be a bit boring. I got a replica set of the Lewis figures and after that turned ones look a bit ho hum. Made a Tafil board a couple of years ago and realised round pieces would not look right for an old viking board game. Got stuck in with rasp.
IMG_1608.JPG

Regards
John

PS. Should have mentioned I do have a lathe and am keen on turning but its not always the look for everything. Besides her indoors would be saying dont we have the house full enough with turned stuff already.

Last edited:
Orraloon
yeah but what superb species of wood u have….
Im struggling to get decent olive bowl blanks and the island is covered with olive….haha….
was talking to a friend in Brazil…
they use fancy wood for fence posts….grrrr…lol…

Square or any other shape you like. I know turned ones are the standard but can also be a bit boring. I got a replica set of the Lewis figures and after that turned ones look a bit ho hum. Made a Tafil board a couple of years ago and realised round pieces would not look right for an old viking board game. Got stuck in with rasp.
View attachment 130429
Regards
John

PS. Should have mentioned I do have a lathe and am keen on turning but its not always the look for everything. Besides her indoors would be saying dont we have the house full enough with turned stuff already.
Nice looking board and pieces 👍

Construction is a bit of both. Long grain strips glued up then crosswise strips inlaid. I first intended a solid construction as in a chess board but with the stripes between squares figured it would be pretty hard to line the squares up.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back