Cherry Goblet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":3cv9r3q6 said:
Wet your work with hot water and allow to dry before sanding again - it'll show up any marks.
In what way ?
You won't be aware Phil but I am technically blind ( still have about 3% vision ) in a way that allows me to get about but not see detail. equally I do not see small areas of colour as such but can see some differences in shades of darkness.

Ironically I worked with a totally blind turner a few times who taught me how to see through my fingers. I found that often I can feel tool and sanding marks that otherwise don't show up until I apply a finish. I learnt a lot from him. Only turner I have met who could get a better finish with 180 grit than most get with 400.

Pete

I know what you mean Pete. People say that I have better hearing than they do and that that is in compensation for not being able to see. It isn't that though, it is that 'blind' people learn to pay more attention to what they are hearing than most do.
The touch thing will probably come but I need to 'learn' how to use it :)

Grahamshed":3tjs6lqr said:
phil.p":3tjs6lqr said:
Wet your work with hot water and allow to dry before sanding again - it'll show up any marks.
In what way ?
You won't be aware Phil but I am technically blind ( still have about 3% vision ) in a way that allows me to get about but not see detail. equally I do not see small areas of colour as such but can see some differences in shades of darkness.

It raises the grain, so often shows pits, dents and areas of torn and cross grain especially when down to using fine papers. I have found that some finishes can be quite patchy over sanding sealer, and while it's not perfect it costs nothing to do.water costs nothing to apply. You might be surprised how something you consider ready to polish furs up.

Firstly, a great, developing thread - thanks to Graham for the questions and to you other chaps for the helpful and informative answers.

As an aside - Bloody Hell, Graham - 3% vision!!!! That makes the turning you have done even better. I am bowled over by your skills. If you are a beginner, were you a turner in a previous life?

Gotta go for a lie down after this month's challenge....

Cheers

Greg

Back