cherry finishing advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
afternoon.

as stated above im looking for advice on finishing a shaker style table im making, i would really appreciate any help tho i would prefer advice for those that have first hand experience themselves with this wood rather than a "copy and paste" link.
I've read various articles on this matter and so far all i know is that they all say the others don't work..
im not looking to stain the cherry to achieve the mature rust/reddish look as i want it to happen naturally in my home with me as i grow old.. nor do i fancy leaving my well cared for wood out side to mature naturally for days. im looking for a clear finish that makes it durable for its purpose.

some information about the side table that may help in figuring out the type of finish that is suited best for it. it will be a piece that will have the odd cup of coffee on it, book, tv remote that sort of thing, alcohol will probably come into contact with it tho i will be protective of my furniture,,

So based on these thing where do i stand?
i know im being a bit picky and i apologise.

I've only ever used danish oil, linseed oil and wax, tho i dout ever in the correct fashion.
i used sanding sealer on a spice rack and then past waxed i did like the end result tho the journey was tiresome...

again thanks in advance, if it helps i could post a pic of the top

all the best
TT

I love cherry as you describe with a deep rusty reddish look. Liberon finishing oil would be my suggestion. I have found it really brings up the colour and is very resilient with enough coats. Applied much the same as Danish oil i.e. put a coat on leave for 5-10 mins and wipe off excess repeat when dry until happy with finnish. I recently tried Osmo polyX on cherry but did not achieve the same depth of colour or protection.

Here are a couple of tables which I used for comparing the Osmo with the finishing oil. The one on the left is the one with the Liberon finishing oil on it. The workshop lighting is not very flattering and colour of both looks deeper in the flesh. Got to see it in the customers house the other day and it has already darkened substantially.

Attachments

• DSC02071.JPG
    DSC02071.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 1,029
Several denibbed coats of Chestnut Melamine followed by waxing - then wait and wait. Of course being careful not to leave anything stationary on it for long periods in direct light.

Beau":3kbpjdlm said:
I love cherry as you describe with a deep rusty reddish look. Liberon finishing oil would be my suggestion. I have found it really brings up the colour and is very resilient with enough coats. Applied much the same as Danish oil i.e. put a coat on leave for 5-10 mins and wipe off excess repeat when dry until happy with finnish. I recently tried Osmo polyX on cherry but did not achieve the same depth of colour or protection.

ill look into the liberon, finishing was something i never worries about but now im trying to take it a step further as it a very important part the the process as a whole, over the last 2 years I've squires 100s of tools for this and that but non for finishing, im thinking if getting some harris synthetic no hair loss brushed? what would you suggest for finishing paraphinalia? brushes ect not products like wax..

thanks
TT

If using oil just some old cotton sheet and disposable gloves should do you fine. Harris natural bristle for polyurethane varnish and synthetic bristle for acrylic varnish.

I haven't built a table in Cherry but last year I made a Cherry bookcase, finishing it with just two coats of Liberon Finishing Oil as Beau has described. The wood has darkened beautifully, and shows off the fabulous grain of Cherry. I intend to give it a coat of clear Black Bison wax but haven't got round to it yet. I'm unsure if this wax is tough enough for roughish abuse to a table-top. I'm making one myself in Oak and haven't decided what to use.

Hope that helps

John

tobytools":2htez1ar said:
Beau":2htez1ar said:

ill look into the liberon, finishing was something i never worries about but now im trying to take it a step further as it a very important part the the process as a whole, over the last 2 years I've squires 100s of tools for this and that but non for finishing, im thinking if getting some harris synthetic no hair loss brushed? what would you suggest for finishing paraphinalia? brushes ect not products like wax..

thanks
TT

If you know somebody with a Costco card, the Harris brushes there are really good value. They only do I pack which is synthetic bristles.

thanks everyone im going to order some of the liberon tomorrow.
when i finally finish my table i will post in projects... my first real piece :)

thanks guy really appreciate the advice
TT

Back