Cherry Coffee-cum-Dining Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some images of a recent project.
The brief from the customer was to build a coffee table that she could convert into a card table-cum-dining table to seat 4 people.
She wanted it to be simple and quick to change over.
A while ago I had seen this idea for a convertable table and adapted the design to an simpler all-timber version that I consider to be just as convenient.

This is also my first attempt at including images in a post, so thanks to Adam for his help in the Sticky off-topic post and fingers-crossed, here goes.

Coffee Table (first view)
Coffee_table_1.jpg

Coffee Table (second view)
Coffee_table_2.jpg

Now, lift off the top, turn the base onto its side and replace the top. This is now a card/dining table. The top has indentations on it's underside to locate it on the frame and keep it secure.
Dinning_table.jpg

Here is a close-up of the through-mortice and tenon joint in the legs
M_T_close_up.jpg

Here is a close-up of the central "hub". This was originally planned to be a half-lap joint, but I made a cutting error which would not normally have mattered, but because the width of the frame determines it's height when set up as a dining table, the mistake proved to be an important one. My solution was to incorporate this hub which is attached to the rails with double M&Ts with loose tenons. On balance I prefer the look of this and it is a stronger joint than the half-lap would have been. Phew!
Hub_close_up.jpg

Finally, a shot of the frame assembly on its own.
Frame.jpg

The table is american cherry finished with 5 coats of Liberon Finishing Oil and a coat of Liberon Black Bison Fine Paste Wax buffed to a medium shine.
In use, it has been favourably appreciated! If you're planning a coffee table and are short of space and could use this kind of solution, I recommend designing something along these lines. :D

EDIT: Images now hosted on Waterhead's site (thanks Chris)

Aragorn,
There seems to be something wrong wth the images. I was able to sneak a look a couple (before they disappeared) then your server started protesting that it was forbidden to access them.

What I did see looks interesting and I am intrigued by the convertability thing so if you can fix the viewing problem, I should be grateful.

PS I tried again and got one more image. It looks great!!

Don't forget you can use my site to host images if you need.

Hmm. Not sure if I can fix it! :cry:
It works OK when I view it, so it might be something to do with Image Station? or the way I've typed the source?
If anyone knows about this sort of thing and can assist, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: I just received a view error - when I refreshed the page on my browser they came back again!? :?

Aragorn,

They come and go - I guess it's a limitation on bandwidth if you are using a freebie account. Use this forum's gallery or my site and you won't have problems

Aragorn I hope you or somebody can fix the problem, I would love to see the table, the link you posted has wetted my appetite :D

Bean

Aragorn
Really lovely job. And ingenious too!
The M&T joints are a lovely feature too. I can't even see any rubbed in sawdust/glue :D.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Cheers
Gidon

Very nice table Aragorn - worth the trials and tribulations of posting the pictures!!

The centre support looks llike it was 'designed in' rather than the result of a miss-cut. A fine example of what Alwyn Crawshaw (amazingly good Water colourist who taught me how to paint) called a happy accident :wink:

Looking forward to seeing the next project

Cheers

Tony

Aragorn

Got to agree with Tony the central hub looks just right. You lucky ***.

I'd just worry about the legs being in contact with the floor in dining table mode.

Roy

Aragorn,

I think all of the right words have been used up, very nice table, cunning way to make two out of one. The hub addeds to the overall look.

Aragorn
Oh Yes!! I like that! Such a simple idea, too, but so well executed. The table looks really good - well done indeed.
Actually, I think I might nick the idea as well as Chris! And that includes the central hub.
Cheers.

SF

Aragorn
I agree with the others, a real nice looking table with a good conversion to a card table. The hub really does add to the overall design.

Tony
you lucky person, I met Alwyn Crawshaw once and what a gent he is. I always kick myself when I think I was in Dawlish years ago and didn't visit his gallery.

Drew

Latest posts

Back