Cherry Bonanza

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12345Peter

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up some wood yesterday and took it to a friend who can cut it down. I didn't know what it was, but he said it was cherry, the biggest piece was 16" by 16/17" diameter the other piece was about 24" x 10" dia. There was lots of it, but I only took the two pieces and some other timber which had tight grain, but not identified it yet. I will go and pick up the rest of the cherry if it is still there. I have read on the forum that cherry is hard to dry successfully, but I will be giving it a go and if there is any left will try turning it green. Any tips advice?

regards

Hi Peter,
My advice would be to try to get it cut down lengthways through the pith ASAP before it starts to split and then seal the end grain with PVA or end-seal.

If you can't saw it lengthways, then it should split fairly easily if the grain's fairly straight - It's easier to place an axe across the end of the log on the pith and then hit the axe with either a big hammer (some would consider this a bit dodgy as either hammer or axe may chip) or a big mallet or "beetle".

HTH
Jon

chipmunk":3m5jkuk7 said:
Hi Peter,
My advice would be to try to get it cut down lengthways through the pith ASAP before it starts to split and then seal the end grain with PVA or end-seal.

If you can't saw it lengthways, then it should split fairly easily if the grain's fairly straight - It's easier to place an axe across the end of the log on the pith and then hit the axe with either a big hammer (some would consider this a bit dodgy as either hammer or axe may chip) or a big mallet or "beetle".

HTH
Jon

Thanks Jon, It was cut lengthways and has been sealed with wax, so hopefully it will be okay.

I have some other wood which I think is walnut, it's 8-10" diameter and I cut it to about 10" in length and sealed it, would that also have been better to cut it lengthways down the middle?

regards

Hi Peter,
Yes probably.

It's not an exact science but splitting/halving lengthways reduces the chances of a split from the pith as the log dries - It's all to do with the fact that as timber dries the circumference shrinkage (around the growth rings) is more than the radial (across them). When dry the semi-circular section will look less than a semi-circle and the centre of the log will appear to be sticking up - hopefully :wink:

If it's been cut a while I'd be very surprised if there isn't already a split across the pith in the centre? :?
To prevent any more wastage pick the end that looks to have the longer split and put your axe in this split and cleave using it as a guide.

HTH
Jon

chipmunk":3h0evvbn said:
Hi Peter,
Yes probably.

It's not an exact science but splitting/halving lengthways reduces the chances of a split from the pith as the log dries - It's all to do with the fact that as timber dries the circumference shrinkage (around the growth rings) is more than the radial (across them). When dry the semi-circular section will look less than a semi-circle and the centre of the log will appear to be sticking up - hopefully :wink:

If it's been cut a while I'd be very surprised if there isn't already a split across the pith in the centre? :?
To prevent any more wastage pick the end that looks to have the longer split and put your axe in this split and cleave using it as a guide.

HTH
Jon

Thanks Jon. Yes there are a couple of very small cracks in one end. I will see if I can split one of them.

Regards

12345Peter":3tclc1vk said:
Thanks Jon. Yes there are a couple of very small cracks in one end. I will see if I can split one of them.
Regards

I was turning some of what I thought was walnut, when a tree surgeon dropped by and identified it as laburnum. It is fantastic to turn and I can get quite a bit more so I have to make room for as much as I can transport. I was pleased about the cherry, but this laburnum is the dog's.

Regards

Laburnam is of course poisonous. So do take care

That the whole tree is poisonous and not just the seeds is demonstrated by people who have lost kittens when they used a laburnum tree trunk as a scratching post. As long ago as 1928, it was said that exposure to the sawdust of laburnum wood caused ‘constitutional symptoms’. This phrase is used to mean a general feeling of being unwell.

Wildman":a0t94gqx said:
Laburnam is of course poisonous. So do take care

That the whole tree is poisonous and not just the seeds is demonstrated by people who have lost kittens when they used a laburnum tree trunk as a scratching post. As long ago as 1928, it was said that exposure to the sawdust of laburnum wood caused ‘constitutional symptoms’. This phrase is used to mean a general feeling of being unwell.

Yes I read that text on a website, but that was long after I made my wife a cereal bowl and spoon from laburnum, honest M'lud.

Seriously though, I wear a mask whilst turning it, mind you I do that with all turnings. It is a beautiful wood and I am on the look-out for tons of it.

Regards

Back