Cherry Blossom Shoe Polish for finishing wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend has just returned from a cruise to the Caribbean, on one of the Island tours they visited a woodwork factory/tourist items for sale place and they came across a workshop with an old man who turns wooden bowls and also makes highly polished items from driftwood. All looked good, well coloured and with a high shine.
He took delight in saying that he used Cherry Blossom shoe polish!
Anyone else use it?

I have seen stuff at craft fairs finished with shoe polish; mostly scroll saw work. I don’t think it looks as good as a proper stain and deeper/more complex finishes, but I can see that it’s probably ok for production work where the targeted quality is more ‘gift shop’ than ‘gallery’.

Last edited:
One of our club turners uses black shoe polish on maple finials etc. Poor man’s ebony he calls it. I think he uses Dubbin or maybe Kiwi but I know for sure he has never mentioned Cherry Blossom. 😊

Pete

A pal of mine spent several decades in RSA, where he knew a 'local' who made furniture from old railroad ties & finished thtems with engine oil.

Back