Cherry Bed - was Wood ID please thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what this is.

wid001.jpg

wid002.jpg

My first thoughts was Braz Cherry but i don't want to go making an expensive mistake.

Cheers Guys
Alan

Whatever it is (Mahogany of some form?) it looks to me as though it is dyed/stained thereby enhancing or even changing its natural colour, so the only thing I think you have to go on is the grain and if you can match that then you have the problem of matching the colour.
Andy

Stained under also. Matching the colour isn't a problem as long as the timber purchased isn't darker. The colour don't need to be bang on either as the piece they would like is for a different property and room.

The ribbon stripes in the top picture are very typical of sapele although it looks a little too orange, is the photo a true representation of the actual colour?

Not its less orange and a bit darker.

Sapele? I work with sapele quite often and I have never seen the blacker thin lines. I have seen lighter ribbon rays when sapele is quarter sawn? Although I will have a look through my stock of sapele encase I have never noticed it.

What's the piece of furniture in the picture, do yorpe know anything about it, who manufactured it or where it was made etc? If it is an imported piece knowing which country it came from may help. Do the owners know much about its history?

Thanks guys. Richard S It is a small dinning table, I didn't pluck for details as I saw it and said its cherry as I was convinced it was on a split decision. We was only looking at the piece quickly after I asked if they had any ideas on what timber and finish they would like.

I always take a photo of reference items if any to match colour and it wasn't till after I looked at the photo's I doubted myself I'm going to go with Berlinia as this was one of 3 I thought it maybe and the other (padauk) no one has said.

Well the wood yard put a whole new spin on this. Quarter Sawn English Cherry and after receiving the wood today its not to far off. We couldn't go for Roze Zebrano as it would have taken to long to get but the owner found the paperwork and confirmed it was Rose Zebrano.

Well I managed to get the bed ready in 2 weeks. I thought about doing this as a WIP but time was tight so I only managed to get these pics done.

IMAG0158small.jpg
IMAG0160small.jpg
IMAG0161small.jpg
IMAG0175small.jpg

I have some of the bed assembled before stain so will post them in a min.

Attachments

• IMAG0158small.jpg
    IMAG0158small.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0160small.jpg
    IMAG0160small.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0161small.jpg
    IMAG0161small.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0175small.jpg
    IMAG0175small.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 107
Well it comes to a Saturday and its been 2 days since I have heard from the client who has arranged for the bed to be picked up on the tuesday (28th aug) but I don't even know which stain she has chosen. After emails and phone calls I can't get hold of her and I have heard nothing. Tuesday comes and her assistant didn't come to pick up the bed.

I finally hear from her and shes been in hospital and had 2 operations. Shes all well now and has chosen a stain. She understands I had started the next project and will have to wait a week or two before it will be ready now.

This is how it currently looks. (well its no longer assembled).

CherryBed1.jpg
CherryBed2.jpg

I did assemble it in the shop first but it left no room for decent photos and I wanted some encase it was picked up unfinished.

You can see some filler on the sides as this quarter sawn English cherry pits really deep near knots. The filler will not show with the dark stain. Sanding the pits out would mean a 3mm loss in thickness and would take ages.

Attachments

• CherryBed1.jpg
    CherryBed1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 90
  • CherryBed2.jpg
    CherryBed2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 92
Well the customer back in health has choose the colour and here is the bed. Its 90% finished I just wanted some pictures before it went and I knew I had a long day rubbing down and varnishing to get the gloss she wanted.

Attachments

• Cherry-Bed-down.jpg
    Cherry-Bed-down.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Cherry-Bed-Up.jpg
    Cherry-Bed-Up.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 73
Chunky certainly, customer doesnt want a headboard? Mind you looks as if its built to keep people inside as well as on top :D

Is the stripe an inlay?

Thanks for posting it up, forum isnt that busy these days :(

The gold aluminum is a 3mm (plastic backing) thick inlay yes. The headboard has been ordered from a different company and shipped directly to her in London. She wanted a fabric headboard in some high class stuff.

Its rare I post up work but as I asked for a wood ID that wasn't easy, I thought I would follow up with the rest.

Back