Cheltenham

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get yourself down to Cheltenham before the end of Bank Holiday Monday. Betty Norbury has put on yet another superb show of the finest contemporary craftsmanship. Thoroughly inspirational.

There is all sorts there, furniture, carving, jewellery, fine art, from a corner cabinet which was nicely designed but very poorly executed (IMHO - apologies if it was yours) to one of the most wonderful desks I've ever seen. A snip at a tad under 24K, although you get a free chair with it.

Something for everyone, and well worth the trip. Makes my stuff look like IKae, no, Kiea, IkA - sorry my computer won't allow me to type certain offensive words.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Tim
I wouldn't take you camera if I were you, not unless you actually want to get thrown out!

:)

Designers get kinda twitchy about that sort of thing. But I dare say some of the mags will have permission to take a few official ones, and the catalogue has some of the pieces in it.

I hope you do get the chance, you'll not regret it.
S

Steve,

Thanks for this tip. Just got back from there.

It is a super exhibition and if you haven't been do try and go this weekend before it finishes. The standard of making is terrific and there is a wide variety of constructional techniques and designs to stimulate and inspire you. I now realise I need to live a lot longer than I had planned on if I am to achieve anything like the standard shown there -apart from the odd exception.

All the stuff is priced, so good info for all you guys trying to make a living at this game!

I took LOML and she enjoyed it too so if your Bank Holiday plans need a tweak to accommodate this visit don't worry, think of it as a family outing :lol: . Plan on a minimum of 2 hours there.

PS I was allowed to handle the furniture, even take out dawers and look at them - even while Betty Norbury was looking. It's a good job I didn't read the prohibition in the catalogue first - just my honest face I guess :lol:

We are going tomorrow - looking forward to it very much.

LOML has said - oh Goody, we can go shopping as well :shock: :cry:

Hope everyone has an enjoyable BH weekend.

Cheers

T

Just got back from the exhibition (and shopping..).

Very enjoyable and some great pieces - loved the secretaire. Pricing was very interesting - some pieces were considerably cheaper than I thought realistic and some way over the top (I didn't share your view of the desk Steve - beautifully made but not my cuppa).

If anyone is hovering about going tomorrow - the last day - then do go, you will enjoy it. There is definitely something that will appeal and inspire anyone.

Cheers

Tim

tim":2jf7ltph said:
Pricing was very interesting - some pieces were considerably cheaper than I thought realistic and some way over the top

I agree entirely Tim. I think some pricing is done with a wet finger in the wind. I certainly must charge more for the next set of library steps I make (my only commission from 12.5K hits to my website - not all have been me).

I got talking to a nice chap (I was actually "recognised"!) who wasn't exhibiting, but had given up a career in plumbing and had just completed a course at, I think, Rycotewood. We discussed pricing amongst other things (including the necessity of a safe, well-paid wife - his was a solicitor). His attitude was that he would sell at a price he could get - very common amongst new entrants to the industry, and I was trying to persuade him that once you have set your price, it is fantastically difficult to increase it later. I just hope he does well.

I enjoy my time in the workshop, although I must admit that at the moment I'm going through a phase where I get more satisfaction out of designing than the actual making. I've been ironing on edge-banding today, and routing pockets in MDF, not exactly Krenovian activity. But I'm very, very glad that we don't have to rely on woodwork to put bread on the table or Cab Sau in the glass.

Cheers
Steve

Steve":3ald59gy said:
(including the necessity of a safe, well-paid wife - his was a solicitor)

and mine is a doctor....... :whistle:

although now that I work from home our overheads are a lot lower and I am now (after 2 years in) beginning to pay my dues properly. Won't ever be rich beyond my wildest dreams (financially) but emotionally, well, I wouldn't swap back to corporate life.

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back