• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Cheese platter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked by a customer to make a batch of cheese platters, and she wants a mouse with each one. The mice I do not have a problem with as it is one of my regular items and it was seeing the mouse that prompted the customer to ask for cheese platters. I have never made one before. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of diameter and thickness. Without going to the wood yard I have got Oak, Ash and lime left if any of that would do. many thanks.

Geoff

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Chippygeoff":1ozrjfaf said:
I have been asked by a customer to make a batch of cheese platters, and she wants a mouse with each one. The mice I do not have a problem with as it is one of my regular items and it was seeing the mouse that prompted the customer to ask for cheese platters. I have never made one before. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of diameter and thickness. Without going to the wood yard I have got Oak, Ash and lime left if any of that would do. many thanks.

Geoff
I think the need for a platter determines it needs to be thinner and is possible to be made from planks.

Given the use I think it's good to get a round insert of ceramic tile or glass. I made a cheese platter and the local glazer cut me a nice piece of circular tougened glass that i set into a cut recess in the platter. It is then hygenic and stands up to having knives drawn across it. With that on board you could almost use any wood. I would avoid the usual suspects for wood that is going to be in contact with food eg Yew, spalted woods etc.

loz

Established Member
Reaction score
Most turning suppliers will have stock of round tiles, and cheese knifes are a nice addition if for a gift.

The only one i ever did was around 12 inch , x 1 inch, and the tile i think was around 5 mil thick, so a recess was cut, the tile was left loose ( not glued in place ) fro easy cleaning.

Make sure to leave some space for movement ( the tile recess dia is a little bigger than the tile dia ) during the seasons else the wood will crack your tile.

If you can get wood to match your knife handle ( or even better acrylic knife handle to match the tile !! ) you get a great combo.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for putting me on the right track.I have ordered some marble disc so I will be making them towards the end of the week.

Geoff