Cheery logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 27182

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a few cherry logs about 30cm diameter by 20cms long. The wood was cut last weekend. I thought it would be to good to burn in year or so, but have no idea how to store for perhaps trying to make a bowl now I have more free time. My question is, how do I season these blocks as it seems cherry cracks and splits easily?
Cheers

slap plenty of paint, wax anything on the ends to seal them and just like salami store in a cool dry corner where the air can still move around and through the logs. Let it dry slowly and splits will be minimised.

At just 200mm long they are more akin to thick slices* as far as turning wood is concerned and at great risk of splitting.

300+mm long X 200mm diameter would have been a safer bet, even then I would have suggested splitting them down the middle through the core.

Personally I would cut them length wise into 75-100mm thick slices and seal the end grain asap. store in stick and leave to dry as slowly as possible.

Alternate would be to split them down the middle and turn them green as natural edge bowls, that way there is a chance they will just distort rather than split.

* Cross grain slicing of wood is worst case scenario for encouraging rapid moisture loss and promoting splitting potential.

Edit:- There's a link to some notes I made on handling wood for turning on my web site and linked in the Turning section Help files; Just based on my experience others may have a different experience.

Last edited:
Cheery logs
It's not often I come across happy wood, but it's always nice to come across a piece that comes at you smiling, ha, ha. Slainte.

Back