Checking mitre slots for accuracy on table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a good method for checking whether the two mitre slots are parallel to each other.

I have never used the one on the right hand side on mine except to briefly put the mitre gauge in. It is an eb3 so adjusted to fit the left slot accurately. When put in the right the fit is not as smooth so there is some very slight variation in the width of the machining.

I want to check for parallel between the two slots as I want to build a sled with two runners

I followed the wood whisperer to set the saw up when I first bought it but can't find anything to check the 2 mitre tracks in comparison to each other.

Any ideas

Mark

A decent steel rule will allow you to see within 10 thou. A Decent Vernier gauge even more accurate, given 5 thou play in the slider one would assume the machining was spot on and wear on the one side the only differance.all that is required is for the runners to be parallel with minimal play, yet clearance is required for it to slide freely Make sure there are no dents in the surface affecting the edge of the slot.

Given that they will have been CNC machined, it's reasonable to assume that they are satisfactorily parallel.The surface finish may be different, and that may account for the difference in slidability.
The way I do it for two runners is to fit one first, then attach the second with one screw at the front (when the runner is in the slot already) the add additional screws as the whole unit is withdrawn. It works for me.

The other approach is to make the runners a bit undersized and pack out the difference with small brass screws in in the edges of the runners.

S

My slots are different width by about 1.5mm.

The depth is different by 3mm.

I made runners on the thicknesser, specifically for each (made extra and keep then on hand for when i need them)

I put the runners in the slots, screw the table down and then use a card scraper to fine tune. This works well (based also on a video i saw on woodwhisperer).

The first time the fit was tight and i had to take lots of to get there, and then had slop. The second time i tried waxing the rails and it was perfect first time with no adjustments.

My advice based on doing this last week is to assume they are parallel, and just make left and right rails individually as required.

Scheppach ts2020. I believe this is now made in China, not Germany.

Hence my ongoing interest in the xcalibur. However the website is our of date and i believe the design has changed, so i want to see it. And the small problem of swmbo.

Ok guys I will just crack on and assume they are parallel if you think they're not worth worrying about

Cheers.

Mark

The Bear":3l3xu9ba said:
Ok guys I will just crack on and assume they are parallel if you think they're not worth worrying about

Cheers.

Mark

I'd follow the Steve Maskery method of fitting one slide then screwing in the other as you withdraw the sled, that worked well for me. It's illustrated in one of his videos.

Back