Checking a lathe (runout, ways etc.)?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice you say the one you are looking at is missing some knobs. I had the same problem on mine, and Harrison for reasons best known to themselves, use white knobs. I found getting good quality white knobs from the usual sources was quite a problem. I have actually used knobs intended for the joysticks on gaming consoles. These are available in a range of sizes and colours, and are nice quality. They come with an M6 threaded insert. To remove these is a bit awkward as it's hard to grip the knob without damaging it. I found the easiest way was to hold the knob in a glove with a rubber palm and drill them out using a cordless drill. They are made of a thermo plastic, so another way would be to heat up an M6 bolt and then screw it in. Once the insert has taken on the heat from the bolt it should melt the plastic immediately around it and enable you to just pull them out. I haven't actually tried this as the idea only occurred to me after I had done them all, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Not knowing exactly what plastic they are made of I was a bit concerned how they would react to bring regularly covered in oil and coolant. So far mine have been fine with no sign of discolouration or any other damage.

To be honest; it felt like an ideal excuse to make a ball turning attachment for the lathe, and make some up from HDPE rod.

That, or find a used set of snooker balls :)

To be honest; it felt like an ideal excuse to make a ball turning attachment for the lathe, and make some up from HDPE rod.

That, or find a used set of snooker balls :)
Undoubtedly much more fun to make your own, although I must admit I was very tempted by a rather nifty 8 ball design in the joystick knobs. :)

Back