Cheapo Nail gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodchipWilbur

If you never fail you're not trying hard enough
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Today, I have been making some plywood trunking. Today, I have been thinking, "Oh! If I only had a little nail gun!"

I am a geriatric - taking a lifetime (well - perhaps 65 years; my dad started me when I was about 7) of woodworking with me into old age, dotage and beyond. A lot of investment for the future is more likely to benefit my heirs than me! The Cancellor of the Exchequer who sleeps beside me might pass a small outlay - and I saw a cheapo gun on Ebay (new): 2021 Electric Staple Gun framing Straight Nail Heavy Duty Woodworking Stapler UK | eBay

Will I just be thowing away £41 on something like that (it's limited to 32mm nails) - or might it be worth a punt on something that might get through Purchasing Control?

IMO that's not a nail gun more a stapler or brad nailer.

I have one I got from lidl that does what it does very well but it's not a nail gun.

Looks like it's a multi tool which comes with a spraygun attachment too....

s-l1600-4.jpg

Personally, I think you'd get better value from a new hammer.

How thick is the plywood? If it works properly and drives the nails/staples in to a consistent depth, you would really like it. If it is a bit random with the depth and punches deep into the plywood regularly, it could be a pain in the bum. I really like my nailers/staplers/small nailers whatever they are called. They are so useful, but the electric one tends to get random when you try to knock in a lot of staples.
I don't think a 'lifetime warranty' from china is worth a lot unless you get the exact details of how the warranty is serviced. You might have to return the failed unit at your cost to China? then there will be a fair wear and tear clause etc. etc. I think Robgul's alternative is good. Looks like an identical part.

I really like my nailers/staplers/small nailers whatever they are called. ... but the electric one tends to get random ...

... So do I take it that your nailers/staplers/small nailers are not electric? If air-driven, can I justify getting a compressor by giving it lots of other work to do? (It looks like a compressor+nailer/stapler/small nailer isn't a lot different in cost from one of the more decent-looking cordless beasts) I have (mainly) Makita batteries - but their nail gun is a bit eye-watering. The Ryobi with a Badaptor looks more possible.

I have a small workshop (8' x 14') so very limited space*. I don't want to store a compressor - or even the trailing flex of a mains-powered machine if it can be avoided. Similarly, I don't want anything approaching a chunky "first fix" nailer - brad nails are the height of my ambitions! I do want something that is as predictable as possible that can be squeezed into a limited budget.

*The job in hand is to make some slightly slimline trunking to give the c. 12 sq in section of a 4" duct for the extractor. Accommodating 4" pipe in there is not easy!

Totally agree on getting a compressor. My nail/brad/staple gun is battery driven - it's the same badge engineered tool that (I'm sure) is available from Clarke/Machine Mart and Draper - mine is a VonHaus from Domu brands. Have to say it's excellent - I've just made a timber lath fence with about 800m of tile batten and getting on for 2,000 30mm staples - didn't miss a beat - it also fires brad nails, and is adjustable for power for different materials/nails/staples.

Go traditional. Look for a Record or Woden rampin on eBay and drive your small pins that way. A small Warrington hammer and nail.set can flush any pins that stick up proud

Nice joke, though, "heavy duty..."

Go traditional. Look for a Record or Woden rampin on eBay and drive your small pins that way. A small Warrington hammer and nail.set can flush any pins that stick up proud

Nice joke, though, "heavy duty..."
Joke/nojoke! That's where I started. Having tried to drive a few brads with mine, I gave up! But perhaps I need to get some better brads. Save a shedload of £££

Why not use panel pins or very small oval nails? Also you can use a panel pin in an electric drill or just a simple birdcage maker's awl to make a starter hole. To hold small pins and avoid hitting your fingers a sprung wooden clothes peg can be altered to act as a panel pin holder

I support the compressor route, better quality guns, more control, also can be used for other tools.
The only thing is to go for the quieter models, around £140 for 25 litre one.
But don't expect them to power air drills or sanders, there's just not enough CFM capacity, you would need to spend a lot more for compressor.
I find with the elec nailer they jam a lot. I only use max 32mm brads and find the air nailer far more reliable and controllable than my Triton nail gun.

I also use compressor with air gun for cleaning sawdust etc, also great for my airbrush, and pumping up the odd tyre occasionally.

I have this model under my bench, and can work quite happily when it's running as the noise is very low, no need for ear defenders.

20210223_173419.jpg

I support the compressor route, better quality guns, more control, also can be used for other tools.
The only thing is to go for the quieter models, around £140 for 25 litre one.
But don't expect them to power air drills or sanders, there's just not enough CFM capacity, you would need to spend a lot more for compressor.
I find with the elec nailer they jam a lot. I only use max 32mm brads and find the air nailer far more reliable and controllable than my Triton nail gun.

I also use compressor with air gun for cleaning sawdust etc, also great for my airbrush, and pumping up the odd tyre occasionally.

I have this model under my bench, and can work quite happily when it's running as the noise is very low, no need for ear defenders.

View attachment 112262
Can I ask what sort of gun/guns do you use with your compressor, as I was thinking of going a similar route?

Get yourself the Silverline guns, which are around £20- 30. They are superb value for money/ check out these threads

Thanks for all the wise words, folk...

For the time being, I'm going along the good Lancashire advice from JobandKnock. I already have a pin pusher/rampin so that involves no expense. This, then, represents anything up to about 300 quid that I have not spent. That, therefore, is 300 quid that is saved - so it is now available to spend on a new toy.

I'd love a thicknesser/jointer. Mine is a carbon-neutral version:
1623656955784.png

Trouble is, I'll probably need to build an extension to put it in...

Just a caution of warning, the lower body guns can leave marks on the surface of the work (often not an issue as it can be filled) but avoid any gun advertised as a combined nailer and stapler as these will leave really big dents on your work, the same width as the crown of the staples they fire, as that is the width of the driver pin

Last edited:
Back