Cheapest material for semi-disposable cutting boards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely if they are selling quality cheese they don't want it on a cheap board?

Cheers James

Surely if they are selling quality cheese they don't want it on a cheap board?
The OP stated " ...and may well be thrown out once the cheese is consumed. " That alone should indicate that the cost of the board should be 'sensible' compared to the cost of the cheese and I doubt that you could get £30 worth of cheese on a 250 x 400 board (unless it is Pule Donkey cheese !)

In addition, the thread title asks for 'Cheapest material...'

The OP stated " ...and may well be thrown out once the cheese is consumed. " That alone should indicate that the cost of the board should be 'sensible' compared to the cost of the cheese and I doubt that you could get £30 worth of cheese on a 250 x 400 board (unless it is Pule Donkey cheese !)

In addition, the thread title asks for 'Cheapest material...'
Yes, so as I said very stiff cardboard with a printed film wood surface. Ian

Thank you all for your replies (and those to come!).
I had considered bamboo, but as J-G mentions it is not a cheap option! Sycamore is interesting and not a wood I would have considered.
I'll continue trying to source some thin enough sheets.

Company I worked for made the cases for £12500 bottles of a rare Whiskey. They wanted them very cheaply. Nothing exotic.

Same thing when you buy an expensive bottle of wine or champagne in a box, always cheaply made, it's disposable after all.

Same thing when you buy an expensive bottle of wine or champagne in a box, always cheaply made, it's disposable after all.
These werent actually disposable, it was the case the fancy expensive teardrop decanter with the solid silver stopper was supposed to live in.
The decanter was the worse design ever. The stopper tailed off to a fine point so holding it in your hand in a grasp, the damn thing could slip through your grip, and the smooth glass gave you nothing to get a grip of.
One of the makers lifted an empty sample decanter we had to take measurements from and thats what happened. There was a horrible sound as everyone drew breath, but it landed on some old duvets we used to protect near finished furniture on the workbench :LOL:

Last edited:
Back