Cheap wood (mainly soft woods)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often think of the expression 'All the gear and no idea' when it comes to wood working. You can spend thousands and have the most expensive kit and prime timber and still turn out rubbish. Whereas a chap in a cheap and cheerful workshop, using second hand tools can turn out the most beautiful pieces.

TLDR: expensive kit & materials don't make you a better craftsman!

I am always amazed at the "penny-pinching"approach so often seen on this site.
What value do you place on your skill ?
If you are going to expend your efforts, experience and skill - why choose the poorest of raw materials ???
Truly skilled artisans will select the the most beautiful woods to complement their efforts and skills.
People who work with "rubbish materials" produce a "rubbish" result.
Where do you stand ?
I collect pallets, and create useful projects for my grandchildren in New Zealand and Ireland.
I have made Wendy houses, tables, chairs, climbing frames--- all out of pallet wood.

They are greatly appreciated by the kids, and are used and abused by the different age groups.
The parents never have to worry about damage to them ,- so - no worries!
It would be a travesty to use good quality timber on such projects,even though they might look a lot better.

Also better for the environment!

Good to have the discussion!👍

If you are going to expend your efforts, experience and skill - why choose the poorest of raw materials ???
Truly skilled artisans will select the the most beautiful woods to complement their efforts and skills.
Where do you stand ?
What an absurd view of the world you have.
It seems , to paraphrase old Oscar, you know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

A slightly different take
The joy of and making something, irrespective of the source of the material whether it be timber plaster wool cotton and et al. is the pleasure of the maker, is a wonder to behold

Thanks to the OP for a good link, bit far for me but now I know such places exist I will look locally.

Sorry if you have taken offence - non intended.
The offence comes from the language. "penny pinching" is a pejorative term. If you don't intend to offend, check the language you use.

An example. My father in law had very little spare cash. He was also very much into recycling 30+ years before it was much talked about. He built some excellent semi fitted wardrobes using recycled and reclaimed wood, taking care to use good stuff for the visible parts like shelf edges and frame facings. Had you called him "careful with money" he would have taken that as a compliment, had you called him "penny pinching" he would have been seriously upset.

We all have limitations including skills, tools, physical abilities, workspace, time and money. Those weight more or less heavily on each of us in different ways and at different times of our lives. Now retired, my time resource has increased, my money resource gone down a bit. Going to recycling centres and getting wood that is cheaper but might take longer to prepare is trading some of your time resource for some of your money resource.

On top of that we have our own values and opinions. For many, including me, repair and reuse is a positive preference not a second choice. That doesn't mean that I am "penny pinching", although I will admit to being careful with money.

Thanks to the OP for a good link, bit far for me but now I know such places exist I will look locally.

The offence comes from the language. "penny pinching" is a pejorative term. If you don't intend to offend, check the language you use.

An example. My father in law had very little spare cash. He was also very much into recycling 30+ years before it was much talked about. He built some excellent semi fitted wardrobes using recycled and reclaimed wood, taking care to use good stuff for the visible parts like shelf edges and frame facings. Had you called him "careful with money" he would have taken that as a compliment, had you called him "penny pinching" he would have been seriously upset.

We all have limitations including skills, tools, physical abilities, workspace, time and money. Those weight more or less heavily on each of us in different ways and at different times of our lives. Now retired, my time resource has increased, my money resource gone down a bit. Going to recycling centres and getting wood that is cheaper but might take longer to prepare is trading some of your time resource for some of your money resource.

On top of that we have our own values and opinions. For many, including me, repair and reuse is a positive preference not a second choice. That doesn't mean that I am "penny pinching", although I will admit to being careful with money.
You nailed it!😝

I suppose it depends on your definition of "rubbish", as "one man's trash is another man's treasure". A few assumptions made in 'sawtooths' original post and yes the post could be seen as offensive. But hey, fair dinkum and 10 out of 10 for winding-up the Poms!

yes the post could be seen as offensive. But hey, fair dinkum and 10 out of 10 for winding-up the Poms!
I for one don't feel "wound up" by his post nor do I think deliberately winding up the poms is a praiseworthy activity. Nor do I think the post was intended to do that, although your rather crass and wholly untelated intervention clearly is. Why?

Where do you stand ?
A true artist’s skills should shine through irrespective of material. Indeed part of the artists skill is determining the best way to use the material to hand.
Heck - even pallet wood can be planed, stained, polished and jointed nicely (although not necessarily in that order😂).

I often think of the expression 'All the gear and no idea' when it comes to wood working. You can spend thousands and have the most expensive kit and prime timber and still turn out rubbish. Whereas a chap in a cheap and cheerful workshop, using second hand tools can turn out the most beautiful pieces.
I think that is something a lot of home / hobby woodworkers do, instead of improving or gaining new skills we try and find a tool that will overcome that hurdle and then find maybe a better tool so the collection grows. If you boil woodworking right down then you end up with cutting, shaping / profiling and joining which is something people have been doing for centuries and probably for a longer time frame than we have had electricity.

If no one takes offence then nothing would be offensive but language can be a strange beast and open to interpretation but this is a great example

Had you called him "careful with money" he would have taken that as a compliment, had you called him "penny pinching" he would have been seriously upset.

Whoooo....that touched a nerve! It's my opinion, right or wrong and this is a forum with different people's views, but you already know that ............."On top of that we have our own values and opinions" . Never been described as "crass" before, but hey how. I"ll have to get back to you on the "untelated" aspersion as I am not sure what that means. BTW, I'm not wound up either.

Last edited:
"untelated"
I think they may have meant unrelated .

All these issues will one day be a thing of the past because the way things are going everyone will be afraid to say anything in the world of Wokyism where nothing will be what you would think, anyone can be anything and the normal goes through 180° .

Where do you stand ?
Not with you Im afraid, I dont think there is a wood recycle centre near me but if there was I would use it, most of my timber comes out of skips anyway,,and if it fits the bill why not use it,,,in fact its probably better seasoned than the stuff from a fancy wood supplier. And I personally get “additional” plesure from creating somthing from scrap wood,,,of course Im very unlikely to be mistaken for chipindale,,,or one of the chipendales either! and you might think, well hes just a rough oike nailing rubbish together, but even at my humble level I take a pride in everything I make and never once have I wished I had used “better” wood.
Steve.

I don't mind being accused of penny pinching and being thrifty, in fact I pride myself on being able to avoid spending on materials if it can be avoided.

A lot of the things I make are from material which is destined to become firewood. I'm happy to share that information as far as possible, so that anyone with a bit of spare time and space can join in the fun and save some money, especially when material prices are as high as they are at the moment.

If people want to use expensive timber or tools, that's great. If they don't and prefer to buy secondhand or recycled, that's great too.

What about drift wood, gets washed up on our shores and many an artist uses it to make, well art and providing you are artistic can be interesting but for me all to often just reminds me of driftwood.

I thoroughly recommend you see if there is a centre close enough to you for visit.
I do use recycled wood as much as possible. I really hate to see things wasted, especially old wood which tends to be better quality in many cases. I had a look in my area, but couldn't see any recycling centres like you have. Whenever I go to my local dump...they call it a recycling centre Ha!! There is a huge skip for wood and it really frustrates me to see some of the good wood being thrown out.

I don't mind being accused of penny pinching and being thrifty, in fact I pride myself on being able to avoid spending on materials if it can be avoided.

A lot of the things I make are from material which is destined to become firewood. I'm happy to share that information as far as possible, so that anyone with a bit of spare time and space can join in the fun and save some money, especially when material prices are as high as they are at the moment.

If people want to use expensive timber or tools, that's great. If they don't and prefer to buy secondhand or recycled, that's great too.
This is the internet. Please refrain for being rational and accommodating of others views and preferences.

Future posts will be monitored

Back