Cheap Trend T5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I was in my local tool store recently (incidently called "the Tool Store", great name!) and the owner was showing me a new delivery of routers. He showed me a Draper 1/4 inch router that looked suspiciously like the Trend T5. I asked about this and he told me that they are made in the same factory as the Trend, comes with the same micro-adjustable fence and is in fact the same router but badged Draper. Big deal you say-But it is only £99 as opposed to £149. Check out draper's web-site and sesarch for this- 240V 1/4“ 850W VARIABLE SPEED ROUTER.
Sounds too good to be true!
Philly

Hi Gidon

The other point worth mentioning about the base model is that, even though it is the same router, it only comes with a one-year warranty. The T5 EK comes with a two-year warranty.

Cheers
Neil

Even my Ferm 850w is a copy of the T5. The fence and other bolt on's in the box are more basic but if like me you only wreck wood with it one weekend in ten it does enough to get me by. This was only thirty six quid and shows it, which makes it almost throw-away priced. Even the "improved" model with a higher powered motor is the same price from Screwfix.

As there is now two versions of the (genuine) T5 on the market if you go for a web purchase, just make sure you get the model you want. One has an 850w motor and the other is a 1050 (I think) with a safety switch on the handle. The lower wattage one will probably be the one on special offer.

Sorry Guys,
I should of said- the draper is an "Exact" copy. Well, not even that. It is the Trend but with a different badge. I tried it out to!
Philly

With regards to the 'Trend T5' exact copies & 'own brand'.
Who copys who?
I have been using a Perles 808 for four years & buy accessories for the T5 that fit perfectly.
In fact, when I spoke to the Perles office in UK I was told that Perles of Switzerland make the Trend.
Whether this is true or not I have no idea but am more than happy with my Perles that cost £119.95 complete with all accesories & 5 good quality router bits.
Here is a review of the Perles OF2 808E from March 2003.
http://www.airstream.co.uk/reviewperles808router.html

Guys

At the risk of being a little contentious here aren't you missing the point somewhat?? :?

Trend make (sell) good quality kit. Copies use less expensive components/materials/techniques. I used to have a cheap router and was shocked when I moved to the T5 at how utterly rubbish the cheapy was by comparison. Trend is much smoother, quieiter and 'feels' much better and more robust - like it will last for many years.
Unfortunataely when I got a Porter Cable 1/2" for xmas I was again shocked at how much higher the quality is than the Trend. C'est la vie.

Always in life, quality costs. :lol:

Hi Tony

Tony":k0whori7 said:
Unfortunataely when I got a Porter Cable 1/2" for xmas I was again shocked at how much higher the quality is than the Trend. C'est la vie. Always in life, quality costs. :lol:

To be fair to Trend, you can't even begin to compare the T5 with your new router. Any comparison should be made with the T9 which is the Trend equivalent of the PC 1/2". Glad you're enjoying it.

Cheers
Neil

I agree. The T5 can't be compared.

I've never used a T9 - Wanna try it out.

ON topic: Trend's T3 is also identical to many other routers, but costs ALOT more, for example the smaller Ferm router - costs around £20 ?

I had that as my first router - very good little machine, wish I hadn't sold it now.

sawdustalley":ekjwmx62 said:
I agree. The T5 can't be compared.

I've never used a T9 - Wanna try it out.

ON topic: Trend's T3 is also identical to many other routers, but costs ALOT more, for example the smaller Ferm router - costs around £20 ?

I had that as my first router - very good little machine, wish I hadn't sold it now.

Trend T3 is still better than these cheep look alikes :wink:

Back