Cheap Tools-and it shows.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Annoying incident in the workshop last night. I was joining maple cappings onto the veneered sides of a chest of drawers. Using my Ferm biscuit jointer to cut slots for the biscuits, dust extractor attached, nice and simple job. Remembered to cut from the correct face, no problems. Dry run with the biscuits-you know, just to check (and admire my handywork :wink: ) Result? Have a look......
d1.jpg

Well out! :evil: Bl##dy rubbish biscuit jointer, the fence moves even when tightened fully. Thing is so noisy i'm not totally concentrating on the action.
Well it's the last time! Back to routed biscuit joints for me (when necessary...... :roll: ) If anyone see's a cheap Lamello give me a call.
And if anyone wants a cheap biscuit jointer-I have one going for pipper all!
narked,
Philly :?

Philly,

I got rid of a Freud that did exactly the same thing - plus the fence was never quite parallel to the biscuits either!

As they say, buy the best and cry only once..

Ewwwwwwwwwww, what a bummer. :evil:

Now tell me, had you already gloated about the sander doo-dah, or was that a carefully crafted drive-by to cheer yourself up? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. The PC is nice :D

Very annoying! If it's any consolation the fence on my Freud has to be checked to be parallel. (Chris - I don't find it too bad otherwise - but don't use it that much - and usually in reference to the base which is spot on).
BUT - I was looking at Lamello jointers at Axminster and the fence adjustment was the same - it looked like you'd still have to check for parallel! I'm sure neither jointers' fence would slip though - that's just rubbish!

Looks like you're making good progress on the chest though.

Alf - you can't expect Philly to keep aprised of all his purchases - Charley would run out of server space :).

Cheers

Gidon

I had an Elu biscuit jointer and I used to get results like that. In fact, it was the main reason for going over to pocket screws.
I think, though, that what you are trying to do would be quite a test for any jointing system- I presume that the cappings and the sides are the same thickness? Would it be possible to make the cappings slightly over thickness and then trim them flush with the board, that would be conventional way of doing it
John

Philly,

I gave up using the fence on my Freud b/j some time ago for the same reason. Have you tried clamping the workpiece to the bench and referencing off the base of the machine as this seems to give pretty consistent results. For L joints, stand one of the pieces upright on your planer fence to get the right angle.

Just a thought

David

Mdotflorida":221ykcyw said:
Does anyone have the Lamello ?

Is it worth the arm and leg that it costs ?

Jeff

I've got one - although it's difficult to comment, as it's my first biscuit jointer - so don't have much to compare it to. I have not, on any occasion however, found a joint to be "out". It gets a resonable amount of use, I've probably used a couple of hundred biscuits - but on nothing really critical.

Adam

I've got the Ferm jointer, and have to say that the fence
is rock solid. Maybe this is just lucky? It doesn't get much
use so time will tell.

That's a disgraceful drive-by Philly :x

TX

Philly

Bad luck, frustrating when tat sort of thing happens. As has been mentioned by a couple of others in this thread you need to go for the PC. This is by far the most superior BJ on the market and well worth the cost.

been using mine for about 7 years and have to say never had a problem with line up and accuracy.

Waka

Many thanks to All for the replies! :D
The cappings are twice as wide as the sides, as I had a sheet of 13mm maple veneer mdf lying around and wanted it to look an inch thick. (give or take.....) In the end I recut the slots with a router, leaving the sides overhanging a mil and scraped them flush. (that veneer is pretty darn thin and it only takes one breaktrhough to ruin a side :? )
So a PC or Makita then? Or bite the bullet and a Lamello? Have to see what Santa brings :lol:
And Alf, think I previously gloated over my Delta oscillating spindle sander-still the box comes in handy for holding the back panel in on the chest of drawers. (thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it!)
Its just so annoying when you pick up a tool and then have to spend an hour tweaking it-I just want to shoot and go!
regards
Philly :D

previously gloated over my Delta oscillating spindle sander-still the box comes in handy

You mean to say you still have room left for the boxes! :lol:

I had same problem with a cheap joiner amd posted some time ago. Bought the Freud and never had a problem since. Cheap biscuit jointers are rubbish and a complete waste of money

Philly":2uy0an05 said:
So a PC or Makita then? Or bite the bullet and a Lamello? Have to see what Santa brings :lol:

I went for the Lamello classic ~£225 so just cheaper than the PC. I reckon you should get down to your local shop and try them. I was torn between the PC and the Lamello so went down to my local shop, and had a try - eventually deciding the Lamello was a bit cheaper, and just as well machined - so opted for that. The PC page on Rutlands has a few comments on it...

Adam

Adam, does the Lamello fence go round to 135 degs? I only ask 'cos it's a handy feature for mitring when you want the outer face flush but the two components aren't necessarily the same thickness. Not perhaps an option everyone wants, but I thought I'd mention it for those trying to decide between the two. It's what decided us on the PC, fwiw, and the small biscuit option (can't recall if the Lamello does that or not?) Mind you, I think at the time the Lamello was more expensive anyway, so that probably contributed to the decision. :lol:

Philly, ah, it's so hard to keep up with your gloats you see... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":23qg8xxt said:
does the Lamello fence go round to 135 degs? I only ask 'cos it's a handy feature for mitring when you want the outer face flush

It is a good point but on my Elu, where the fence does not do a 135, there is a registration slot that allows in essence, the same thing - ie registering off the outside face of a mitre. This seems to work perfectly well.

Alf":1ra9vd1r said:
Adam, does the Lamello fence go round to 135 degs?

No idea, I'd have to check. I've had a look around on the weband I don't* think it does (* but haven't really researched it.) It's not a joint I've ever had to do, either internally on on the outside face either.

Alf":1ra9vd1r said:
and the small biscuit option (can't recall if the Lamello does that or not?)

It mentioneds 6 depth stops on the literatre - I think it does 0,10,20 max and S (small) - I have no idea what the other one might be. Certainly "Max" came in handy when I was trimming a piece off a skirting board.

I think I've seen more positive reviews of the PC, than the Lamello (classic) FWIW. Hoever for Philly "cash-no-object" I don't think I've ever seen anyone rate anything whatsoever higher than the Lamello Tops20 (but thats serious more £££ than I'd be prepared to pay).

Adam

Back