Cheap Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloc75

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that is probably 2 words that don’t currently go hand in hand these days.

I’m working on a project for my workshop and I’m looking for reasonably priced softwood.

I have a thicknesses/planer now so maybe reclaimed wood is an option.

Any advice?

you can occasionally find good stuff in skips, otherwise go for redwood pine and ask for 'fifths' in a timber yard, however quality has massively gone downhill since 2020 here so be wary before buying.

I've just picked up a couple of oak bedframes from Freecycle and Freegle - useful source of wood - especially the 3" x 3" posts on the head and foot boards.

That's a good idea, I may look into those markets. 8-10 legs (750x100x40) of yellow pine is going to cost me around £300 at most of these timber stores, but now I have the machine to plane my own wood I can afford to look at recycling.

That seems very expensive, 4×2 planed redwood is only £7 a metre at wickes, so about 50 quid for your legs. Not saying theirs is the best, but you can pick through the stack and get some useful stuff.

The link defaulted to a set price. I’m on my phone so I will check that out later.

I know that is probably 2 words that don’t currently go hand in hand these days.

I’m working on a project for my workshop and I’m looking for reasonably priced softwood.

Any advice?
Call in at your local architectural joinery company. I've always found them helpful.

Colin

Have a look around building sites esp new supermarkets convenience stores / petrol stations, the chiller units have some decent long lengths in thier pallets.

Go to a builders or timber merchants for reasonable prices and choose UK or European timbers. Southern yellow is imported from North America and will be expensive, it's available in bigger sizes and has fewer knots than Scandinavian reds or UK larch but no easier to work or stronger so not worth the extra money for a bench.
Edit, just seen you're in mold try Hoyle hardwoods he has local rough sawn timbers ok if you have planer.

Last edited:
You can get 2 x 4 c24 from TravisPerkins for about £4 inc VAT. You don’t really need to plane them just run them through table saw to get rid of rounded edge.

If you want flat and smooth surface just put mR mdf sheet on top or plywood

Attachments

• C0285C76-FC02-40D0-95C2-C6E29AC9A2F9.jpeg
    C0285C76-FC02-40D0-95C2-C6E29AC9A2F9.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 27

Any advice?
find a source of pallets they can often be found at building sites and trading estates ect where they are just left outside of firms that have not got room for them in their premise. butr do ask the company if you can have them. i have built a complete workshop from them

find a source of pallets they can often be found at building sites and trading estates ect where they are just left outside of firms that have not got room for them in their premise. butr do ask the company if you can have them. i have built a complete workshop from them
.... and don't forget you can make quite a sum of money by selling all the nails to a scrap merchant! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back