• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Cheap SIP Dovetail Jig - 34.95

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know what this is like, but it is cast iron and it comes with a 7/16", ½" and 9/16" templates.

Seems amazing value.

Cheers
Neil

Dewy

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the Screwfix jig & found the plastic stops turned brittle & broke after a year. It was poor quality plastic. With 3 different templates its a lot cheaper but check those stops & if possible get someone in a machine shop to make you a set of steel or aluminium stops to fit. I also found that the plastic hold down knobs slipped out when the plastic was failing. Unsafe as the workpiece could move.
I paid £70 for the 1st jig then another £50 for a replacement. It would have been cheaper to buy a Trend DJ300 at £100. :(

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Dewy

I didn't realise about the plastic handles but even so, once you have replaced them, don't you still have a much cheaper solution with more variety of widths?

What I have done with my Trend DJ300 is to buy the aluminium cam handles which makes things so much quicker and does away with the plastic handles.

Cheers
Neil

Dewy

Established Member
Reaction score
I see that Trend now do the CDJ300 jig which is listed at £70 so is a much better option that the one I bought which has now cost £120 to make 2 drawers. :(
Trend are known for quality so I have fast come round to the way of thinking that buying cheap tools to get started is a much more expensive option than buying good kit to start.
It's noticable that Trend are fighting back at the DIY sheds cheap own brand routers by introducing the T3 & also as a complete starter set with router table for £150.