Cheap shop vacuum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

As you know I have a disposition for quality (read expensive!!!) hand tools. However, when it comes to mundane bits of kit such as a vacuum, I like a bargain and will not pay Trend etc. prices

I bought a small shop vacuum about a month ago and am so impressed with it that I thought I would post some details.

It came with loads of attachments (tubes brush etc.) and adaptors. The 4 or 5 adapters are rubber reducers or expanders to allow the extraction pipe to fit on various machine outlet sizes. I have tried it on every machine in my shop that has less than 4" outlet and it fits them all.

There is a power take off on the rear which allows you to plug in anything up to 2250W. I regularly plug my router in there and set the switch to the 'R' position. When I turn the router on, there is a 3 second delay before the vacuum starts automatically. When I stop the router, there is a 30 second delay before the vacuum stops.

The main switch also has a '1' position for normal use when cleaning the shop

I am very pleased with the suction and it is not particularly noisy.

A highly recommended addition to a 4" extraction system for router table + hand held power tools.

Cost? £34.98 including VAT

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/p ... DID=192074

Cheers

Tony

Tony

Looks a neat piece of kit as well as the price being attractive, might have to invest because at the moment my shaving and dust flys everywhere.

When you say not very noisey what are you comparing it with?

Waka

Tony":3lh9e6cg said:
There is a power take off on the rear which allows you to plug in anything up to 2250W.

Strange, their web-site says 1200w power take off.

I take it you get the 2250W from the machine itself ?

I've seen this before but assumed it wasn't any good being sooo cheap, so thanks for the review.

Waka":3208bu99 said:
Tony

Looks a neat piece of kit as well as the price being attractive, might have to invest because at the moment my shaving and dust flys everywhere.

When you say not very noisey what are you comparing it with?

Waka

Waka

Comparing it to a standard cylinder vacuum I used to use until it got a few pints of water pored into it :(

It really is a lot quieter than the tools I use it with

Cambourne Pete. There is a sticker on the socket on my machine. I thought it stated 2250W, maybe I am mistaken - I will check tonight.
I have used it with all of my handeld routers and sanders without problem

Tony

Tony

I'm convinced and I guess its the way I should go, although not sure how long it will take me to comvince HID's that its dual purpose but stays in the WS.

Waka

I bought the same shop vac when I 1st saw it at B&Q last year.
It was on offer then from it's previus price but I see it still hasn't gone back up.

"shop" vac? "shop" vac? I thought this was a UK forum. Or are we really a nation of shopkeepers? Hmm, perhaps I'll go back to my shop and sell something, sorry, make something
John

johnelliott":1m8vedhy said:
"shop" vac? "shop" vac? I thought this was a UK forum. Or are we really a nation of shopkeepers?
The word 'shop' derives from the Anglo-French 'eschoppe' for 'booth' & the Germanic 'schoppe or scopf' for 'porch'
In the past goods were sold from the front porch of the place they were manufactured in 'workshop'.
It was only on market days that goods were sold in a 'booth' so, in time, the word developed into a place where good are sold although any manufacturing place is still known as a shop.

Pete

The sticker on the outlet from my vacuum states max load of 2400W. So even more than I thought!!! :lol:

Chris
Haven't noticed any fine dust escaping, but then it is used in a woodworking shop and I probably wouldn't notice it above tha twhich already floats/lies around the place.

I am chuffed with it though

Cheers

Tony

johnelliott":3ba313v0 said:
Dewy":3ba313v0 said:
although any manufacturing place is still known as a shop.

Yeah, sure, in the good ole USA!

John
I've never worked in USA. Always in UK or RSA and it's always been known as a 'shop' here

I started in manufacturing, in England, in the sixties, and have continued in manufacturing, in the UK, off and on, ever since. In that time I have NEVER heard the manufacturing area referred to as a 'shop'.
John

Machine shop? As opposed to "machine workshop".

Rgds

Noel, with his $0.02

Well there you go
I started in manufacturing in the mid sixtes and it has always been referred to as a shop, in my experience. Maybe we could have a little more input on this issue from some of the other members.

John

I have worked in various Engineering Based Industries including visits to customer sites and have always heard the work areas called 'shops' or 'shop floors', I have always assumed it was short for workshop.

Bean

Well, there you go, different people, different factories, different names for the same thing. I'm going to say that although I have often heard the word shop used in combination with other words, e.g. shop steward, I have never heard it used on it's own in the way that Americans do. I remain convinced that 'shop vacuum' is very much an American, as opposed to English, expression.
John

I don't care what they call it. I thought Tonys' post was so useful that I actually went looking for one of these "?" vacs today. Bought it, brought it home and it is really good.
At that price there is nothing to lose. Even if it stopped working you would still be left with some useful tubing and a set of handy adapters.
Thanks Tony.

SF

Back