Cheap Scarifier?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like others say, the collection box is useless. You fit it by lifting a flap at the rear, which allows the moss and thatch to come out the back of the scarifier into the box. If the box is not fitted the flap stays down and I found the moss and thatch cannot escape easily and clumps underneath. I drilled a small hole in the flap and attached a bungee cord so it could be lifted up permanently. If your lawn is not as bad as mine you might be okay without.

A rotary mower is basically a vacuum cleaner for lawns.
If you scarify your lawn properly it will produce tons of 'waste' so any bag is going to get full within seconds.
I use an Einhell petrol scarifier without bag then vacuum with a rotary mower.
Scarifying also cuts through ground spreading weeds.

See 1min 15.

I bought a used Mountfield scarifier a couple of years ago, does an okay job but I still like to get the rake out as well.

I was raking the lawn yesterday and after about 20 mins 3 tines had snapped off the newish rake 🙄

Luckily I found this in the back of the shed, the price made me chuckle, it must be older than me and of course this one didn't break :)

lawn rake.jpg

I have an identical one.
Though I use this to do the raking.

s-l1600.jpg

The Einhell with solid steel tines can cut deep into the soil though, called slitting, so you need both.
And a rotary mower (lawn vacuum).
And a large shed...

I went the Ferrex in the end. As they all look pretty similer. It seemed the right balance with the changable heads and reasonable build quality. Like the rest it may get 2 runs out a year so it doesn't need to be anything amazing. Thanks all for the advice.

Thanks Colin that looks great. We are planning to sow a wild flower meadow in our orchard. I've been pondering how to remove the lawn grass without leaving any clippings. I was resigned to hiring a turf cutter but if scarifying works this well I'll give it a go.

Which seed mixture did you use? Apologies if I'm going a bit off piste from the OP.

Mike
I would not bother with removing the grass, other than cutting low and removing the cuttings. Scarify the surface a bit and plant FRESH seed of Yellow Rattle (Rhinanthus minor) along with your wildflower mixture. The Yellow rattle parasitises the grass and keeps it down, so the meadow mixture does better. Make sure your mixture is suited to your soil type and site.

Back