Cheap router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cisamcgu

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of making a router table for my new J0F001 Triton router and came across this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charnwood-W012- ... 227&sr=1-4

It is cheap, and I understand you get what you pay for, but would it be sufficent for a first table ? It says suitable for 1/4" Routers, and the Triton is a 1/2" one (although I will be using, in the first instance some 1/4" bits I have) - would this be a problem ?

Or would I be wasting £50 + postage ?

Thanks

Andrew

Personally, I would invest your money in an insert plate and make a table yourself. It can be as simple as setting it into a piece of kitchen worktop and knocking up a frame to hold it. (Or much fancier if you prefer) If you are dead set on buying, then I think that http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-po ... uter-table is a better buy. There is often an additional discount code and free shipping, but I don't think there is right now. I think that this is a better table, and you can use the insert plate and some of the other bits should you wish to make another one in due course.

I have a very basic home made table for a router which you can have. Do a search for my username in the for sale section. On phone at min so can't find link.

It's done me proud many of times.

If you can't afford a decent table yet it may save you wasting a few Bob in the mean time.

Marcros is right,you should make your own.I ignored advice to build my own and bought A bench-dog table . I was keen to get started and thought that buying one would be the best way to go but since then I have built my own and would much rather use that as it is A better table plus it only cost about A third of what I spent on the bench-dog. I also thought that as I was only getting into woodwork properly I thought that building one might be A bit too advanced for me at the time but there really isn't that much to them,well you can build A real fancy one but if you take A bit of time you can build A perfectly functional table.....Don't make the mistake I made...build your own,you'll get much more satisfaction when you use it too ! . Phil.

I inherited one of these Charnwood tables as a freebie with an ebay router. My Triton 1/2" does fit into it though I've drilled new holes for holding it in place and for the height adjustment handle. However, as a table its not very good. The turnscrew fixings are hard to keep tight in the track and the blue plastic hold downs are too flexible to be effective. I've probably wasted more time fiddling about and making mistakes with it than I would have spent building my own as suggested by other forum members!

I've been looking into router tables for a while now, to buy or not to buy, that is the question? :oops:
I spent some time on ebay but noticed most sell for nearly retail cost or more when post is added. Durrrrr !!! #-o
I found some FREE plans on various sites including Youtube. Google & ye shall find also.

I have purchased a book from Amazon which helps you decide which router may be best for you, and which includes plans for router tables, jigs & much more. I found this a very good investment.

I am awaiting my Rutlands order, having decided to build my own router table. (Thanks guys for putting me onto Rutlands )

Great site (ukworkshop) great advice & inspirational ideas, many thanks guys !! =D> :D

Andrew,
There is a Triton router table top in the for sale section that might help you out?
Regards Chris.

Back