Cheap laser engravers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
I keep getting online adverts for cheap portable laser engravers, around £35 or so. Probably because I once might have clicked on one once. Has anyone tried them, and do they work for small images? I’m thinking of trying one instead of a branding iron.

Wow.
Do not waste your money or your time on that thing.

Im wondering about one of the 99 quid insma unit that is 3w and just about able to do what it claims. That thing must be magic if it can engrave anything.
I can find no real world evidence for it working. All i get is the hyperlaser promo video )l(the real version of that which is 400 notes not 20).
Im sceptical and i admit, somewhat od a cynic but it doesnt really sound real to me.

this is the kind of mini laser engravers I was talking about.
They keep coming up on my feed as well, but I wouldn't chance one. You know what they say, "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is"

I’d be very cautious if you do try one or any similar versions. Buy a decent pair of laser specs before you event think about turning it on. Your eyes are incredible sensitive to laser light, even reflected. I suspect none of these have tested....

I have a china made 60x60cm laser engraver. Paid £120 straight from china via aliexpress. Works great for the money but the software it came with is terrible so worth getting something better.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847761533.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dBkDhpi
Those little units pictures were a kickstarter and I believe were around the £200+ mark. These adverts for this very cheap one is a scam! Do not buy!

Edit:

I think this was the kickstarter for the actually thing:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cubiio/cubiio-the-most-compact-laser-engraver

I have one of the c. £100 ones (dvd writer laser repurposed) when you can get the software to work it is fine - have used for leather keyrings etc.

https://www.tcoiuie.com/products/laser-engraving-machine?variant=108997378
this is the kind of mini laser engravers I was talking about.

I kept getting similar ads. I realised that they were probably no good but wanted one for the same purpose as you so I thought I'd risk the small amount of cash. They sent the tripod but the unit itself never arrived. Because of the risk, I paid by PayPal so made a claim from them. It was successful but took a couple of months. I think it's a scam and rather doubt the thing actually exists!

The thing they're purporting to sell is a 'Hyperlaser'. There's a kickstarter for it here - The Most Compact, Powerful and Simple-to-Use Laser Engraver - and numerous vids on YouTube. It actually looks really good. It also actually costs about £400.

No idea what the deal is with that site. I tried bunging in some false details in Incog mode to see if it would try and redirect me to a PayPal login harvesting site or some such thing, but the payment link doesn't work. I expect it is/was a scam of some sort, but it doesn't seem to be doing much now.

Back