Cheap Impact Driver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm Looking to get me an impact driver as my cheap 14.4v screwfix drill driver is slowly biting the dust after 5 years, looking at the following:

Hitachi toolstop £79.99 - does anyone have one of these assume they are end of line? they look great on youtube
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/hitachi-wh10dl-jl-10.8v-impact-driver-2-batteries-p7276
Metabo toolstop £135
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/metabo-po...-li-cordless-impact-driver-2-batteries-p14015
Makita 2 piece drill driver set toolstop £129
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-lct204w-10.8v-li-ion-2-piece-cordless-kit-2-x-1.3ah-batteries-p6565
Black and decker b and q or amazon £85
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...erformance-Lithium-Ion-Impact-Driver-11557573

Any suggestions on what would be a good buy? Budget is as low as possible! Total limit £135

Cheers
Grafter

Hi,

I have a makita 12v impact driver and 2 drills, I can't fault them, some times I could do with a it more power, but I have mains drill for those times.

I would recommend makita, most of my power tools are makita.

Pete

i second that with the makita had mind for 9 years used most days no problems just keeps working
same as pete most of my tools are makita
john

I've had a hitachi impact driver for over 6years now. 2.0ah nicad batteries, both still going strong. gets used daily and i can get over 200 5x100 screws from each charge. also have 18v makita lithium ones and it holds its own against them

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Had a Makita 12v impact driver for a few years now and it is superb. Paid about £50 for it without batteries as I already had several to go with a couple of drill / drivers. These can often be found on offer, think I paid about £75 for one drill and three batteries as a kit and about £50 for the second kit in a clearance sale. I have to say they are all brilliant, light, compact, powerful and the batteries seem to last really well, especially as they are only 1.3ah ni-cad's. Can't fault it nor recommend them highly enough as with all my Makita kit totally bomb proof.

I've got a Sparky GUR12 from Screwfix and it's great. It's really the Trend Snappy impact driver but painted purple, not red, so it's good make. It has a lot of power from its 12v battery and mine has dealt with screws up to 4" no problem (anything bigger then I use my SDS drill). Obviously it doesn't have the power of an 18v driver, but it'll have considerably more grunt than the 10.8v ones you've linked to.

Mark

Hi Grafter
I own a hitachi drill and impact driver, and think for the price the brand is under-rated, having said that a few years ago i stumbled across a brand called concept durofix, and they are really first class in fact as my drills/drivers pack up im changing over to these completally. the 10.8v can be purchased for about £90, with one hour charge batteries and charger.( a web search my also bring up ac delco as well which is the mechanical arm of the company you want the grey durofix)

IIAH, my Makita18v & 10.8v collections are brilliant - not one issue despite two complete house renovations!

Thanks for all the replies,
I'm veering towards the hitachi 10.8 or durofix 10.8- thanks Beaver never heard of them before but 15min charge, sony batteries - looks like a good tool
The makitas look v. good but specs seem similar to these 2 and quite a bit cheaper!

I've got a Makita 18v combi drill which is very good for drilling and driving screws but the only downside for me is the weight, particularly if I use it up a ladder. Is a 10.8v impact driver as good as an 18v combi drill for driving screws?

Regards Keith

If the cheap one lasted around five years without any probs why not get two or three of them,you can then have two or three different bits on hand without changing back and forth.Plus you still have change for a couple of pints down the local.

Regards

Mark

A battery drilll is a drill powered by a battery.
A drill driver is a drill typically sporting a variable clutch/torque control allowing you to drive screws without stripping out.
An impact driver works like a conventional drill (constant rotational force) until it reaches a certain amount of resistance at which point it starts driving the bit by delivering series of sharp rotational 'blows' (impacts) instead.

For tough jobs an impact driver definitely has the edge, you just have to be careful with soft metal screws, it's not unusual to tear stainless steel screws in half with them.

HTH

I have the dewalt 14.4 impact driver. I find it an excellent drill for my needs. Got it for 99yoyos. Would definitely buy another.

Got the Bosch 10.8V one. It's pretty good, and the hex chuck is handy, but I wouldn't say it's hugely better than the equivalent 10.8V drill/driver. I've got the first version of that too and it's not bad, although Bosch cordless drill quality has steadily dropped as each new generation is cost-reduced, IMHO.

I've played with the Makita 10.8V (black+white) set, and they feel better made than the Bosch ones. Frustratingly, they pretty much all use the same batteries, just with different clips glued on so they can't be interchanged.

E.

Back