Cheap HVLP Spraygun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noel

It should definitely not throw paint around unless you intend to. Could be the return spring or could be anything to do with the needle/ jet ie dirt or its bent etc and therefore not making a perfect seal.

maybe worth taking it to bits and having a good look.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim, I'll have a nosey tomorrow sometime. Hard to see paint coming out until it lands on something................
Well, tomorrow came early and had a good looksee. The needle is not sealing on the back of the nozel/nozzel/nozzle(so, how you spell that word...?)Anyway, fiddled about with the lower skinny brass adjuster and that soon sorted it.
Img_0005Rcd.jpg

As has been mentioned before light years difference compared to a compressor setup. No dust clouds and quite a good "edge" between painted and unpainted surfaces. A quick 5 minute apprentice session on the cardboard and I'm ready for anything....

Noel

Congratulations on getting hold of one Noel. I finally managed to get to talk to someone in the local main branch of B&Q, and they don't stock it either. They quoted me 4 weeks for delivery. I plan to drop in there and order one soon.

Well after a trip back to Wales to pick it up (I was coming home anyway) and finishing the holiday then finally dealing with the backlog at work, I've finally found some time to have a go at HVLPing.

Works a treat, I first painted the rabbit transportation box with new stain, then I painted some flat MDF and Triplex with primer.

Went on very well and I'll spray a gloss coat(s) tomorrow to see if I can master that.

Cleaning was a doddle (first with water as the stain was water based, but later with turps for the primer.

Thanks for the nod Philly.

next I'd be trying shellac!

AndyBoyd":38r34stf said:
next I'd be trying shellac!

Andy,
Shellac can be difficult to spray with a turbine system because the air is warmed and the alcohol flashes off so quickly. The finish will typically feel gritty if you haven't managed to keep a wet coat and you may need to put it on thicker than you feel comfortable with to achieve this. Obviously ambient temperature also plays a part.

Just did some European Cherry with Shellac from the HVLP, not too bad but Waterhead was right you needed to out it on pretty wet , to get it to dry smooth.

Hi all,
Many thanks Philly,
I have been off-line for a while with the kitchen and such (cheers Frank your advice was spot on) Where was I? Oh yeh. The spray gun, well like I said I have not been around for a bit and then I logged on & browsed & saw the posting about the spraygun kit. I was intrigued by your opinion and that of others so went out today to Nelson to try & get one, but no. So I shot over to Blackburn and was in luck (for me) I actually got the last one they had- so I was told. :whistle: :D I don't have a use for it yet but it will be very handy when I get back to the rocking horses, when I have finished setting up the workshop.
I have to say that since I came upon this site I have been very impressed with the friendliness and willingness to share knowledge and offer help to D-I-Yers like myself. I have been working with wood all of my life in my spare time, as a serious hobby. and I have done a lot & made a lot over the years. & not half bad either (though I do say so myself) but my skill and knowledge doesen't come close to a lot of you guys & gals (Gill & Lynn included) the photo's of the work that some of you folk have posted is -to say the least- TOP DRAWER. Excuse the pun. But seriously this site as a community is an excellent example of how it should be in life(as I have always believed) pass it on, share it. For my part you are all stars, and some of you quite the wit as well.
Many thanks again Philly, sorry to all for ranting on.
Cheers.
Trev.

shirehorseman":131sqwin said:
guys & gals (Gill & Lynn included)
There aren't many more gals to include... :lol:

shirehorseman":131sqwin said:
sorry to all for ranting on.
Trev, rants like that I can read all day. :D

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Did you buy enough to get the 15% off as well? :wink:

Alf,
Yes I did actually. I needed a few other bits so got them at same time. I have to be honest as well (sad as it may be) but I was amazed as I had never been to a B&Q warehouse before only the normal smaller stores, but I shall be going back again when funds allow I saw some nice (toys) sorry, tools in there.
Cheers.
Trev.

Just a quick update!
I was in my local B+Q Warehouse and see that the HVLP kit is now re-badged as a Performance Power HVLP kit. And the shelves were packed with them!
Obviously the UKWorkshop buying power has worked a treat! :lol:
Hope this helps
Philly :D
(should of taken that commision offer when I had the chance..... :roll: )

:D got one on sunday with the 15% off (now every thing is painted use to have a white dog now red one 8) ) no it was a good buy as i need to paint lots of T&G for the kichen

Martyn

Morning all. Bought the gun in question when everyone was first talking about it but never used until yesterday. I had to finish my workbench and wanted a finished top, only MDF but didn't want it without a coat of something. I had a half tin of Pre-cat lacquer that would do the job. Bit hard to set-up with a clear finish, should have practiced with some paint first but the result is really good. I only had enough for 2 coats so i applied a thin coat to start with and the then a thicker second coat.

I did have a slight orange peel effect when the second coat went down, but this soon flatted. As a test piece that i will see daily i'm pretty pleased with the result. Well worth the money :lol:

Quick question. The orange peel effect, is that i gun setting? or did i not apply enough per coat?

Can i apply a wax finish over the lacquer?

Andy

Andy,

The main causes of the orange peel effect is one of the following:

1. Pressure is too low
2. Nozzle too big.
3. Paint too thick (Usual Cause).

However, be aware that changing these parameters can lead to other problems such as:

Increased pressure can, if not careful, lead to fogging - paint everywhere as a friend can confirm having almost resprayed a whole industrial estate worth of cars instead of just the cladding he was employed to paint.

Reducing the nozzle can slow down application rates.

With thinned down paint runs can become a problem if:

a. The application is too heavy - simply move along at a quicker pace.
b. The paint is too thin.
c. the weather was/is too hot.

As you can see there is a number of possible causes and associated problems. However don't be put off all that is needed is a little practice before attempting applying the finish on your latest project.

Hope the above is of some help.

Karl

Karl, thanks for the advise. I'll have a play with the setting at the weekend with some paint, just so i can see what i'm spraying. I suppose it's completely different settings to each product. It may be worth me making a note of each i use and the setting for these.

The orange peel effect has reduced a bit, and to be honest for my first attempt it's pretty good.

Andy

For all the Oirish or Norn Ironish wanting a gadget like-wot-Philly-wrote: B&Q at the Holywood Exchange Branch had three left when I visisted today. Spondulicks = £49.98.

tiler99":ojla34d9 said:
So what do you all think now you have had time to play with this item....still worth it?

I like mine a lot. Only used it for water-based finishes so far but it performs very well. I'm a novice sprayer and found it easy to set up and adjust. Be aware though that B&Q appear to have discontinued it and it may be difficult to get hold of one.

Latest posts

Back