Cheap HVLP Spraygun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked one up in the Ipswich B&Q warehouse at the weekend, they had 3. :D

I used up the part pot of cheap wood fence gloop from Homebase I found on the shelf. Went on nicely, just need to get some more to finish the job. :roll:

I have never used a HVLP system before, but was impressed by the lack of dust cloud around the area being painted.

Note I did shut Iona (white inquisitive dog) in the house while doing this. 8-[ I can get in to trouble without her help. :whistle:

DaveL":2crfksrz said:
Note I did shut Iona (white inquisitive dog) in the house while doing this. 8-[ I can get in to trouble without her help. :whistle:

Good point Dave, thanks for the heads up! I got in trouble today for getting the dog wet with the hose. Think the dog and I would be swapping beds if I painted her from white to brown :shock: :wink:

WiZeR":1tnzokkf said:
DaveL":1tnzokkf said:

Good point Dave, thanks for the heads up! I got in trouble today for getting the dog wet with the hose. Think the dog and I would be swapping beds if I painted her from white to brown :shock: :wink:

Hose and water, that's nothing, take a look here to see that she has No Fear. :roll:

Hi Philly, Great tip off, I have just finished spraying some mdf bathroom cabinets with a compressor (also £50 from B&Q a few years ago)and can vouch for the mess they create. I saw a demo on the Fuji stand at the Axminster show last year and was very impressed with the cleanliness of the system. I'll certainly look out for one of these on my next visit.

Well, I just had my first go with this bit of kit. I have to say it did not go well! :( The main problem is that I could not get it to stop coughing up lumps (drips?) of paint. I read the manual and did everything it suggested for this problem. i.e. thickening the paint, fiddling with the knobs and not spraying too close. However it still chucks out the odd lump which is a tad annoying. The second problem I had was all in the technique. I read the manual and have a good understanding in the theory, but putting it into practice is another thing. I found it hard to get an even coat. I put this down to mainly experience, but also I found the the spray gun is hard to hold and the air pipe has a mind of it's own. Finally, it's a real pig to clean. Messy is not the word, there is paint everywhere!

I realise that all of this is mainly down to experience and I have promised myself I will soldier on tomorrow (I normally thrown in the towel at this point like a big baby!). All I got done today was 1 coat of undercoat on 1 carcass. 2 Carcasses to go! :oops: :cry: :roll:

Hang in there!! Sadly, when it comes to spraying, a few fine coats looks way better than a single heavier coat. You need to go easy-but it takes a bit longer (not one of my strong points :lol: )
As to spitting-try filtering the paint before spraying it. I mix the paint in a seperate container and then decant it into the gun through a filter (a pair of the Missus stocking works good!).
Spend some time playing with the gun-shooting it on bits of scrap cardboard to get the feel. You'll soon get the hang of it.
Best of luck
Philly :D

thanks, Im also not sure wether I should be going Horizontal, Verticle or Circle. I understand the concept of going left to right at 15cmish away from the wood. However this soon goes out the window when you have corner and crevices to get at.... and then there's the bl**dy hose :evil: :roll: :)

Quick Question Philly

When you are mixing the paint, how do you measure how much white spirit to put in? I know you said 10-15% but what do you use to measure this?

I buy cheap plastic mesuring jugs from the local "poundshop"-chuck 'em when you're done!
Just keep playing with the gun, tweaking the controls to get a feel for what each one does. Try turning each knob fully off and then winding it back out to see the effect.
Cheers
Not-An-Expert-Philly :lol:

Phillys advice is sound. The first concept to "get into your head :!: " when spraying is not to expect the first coat to cover as if you are using a brush. If you take into consideration the time it takes to put two coats on by spraying it is still less time than with a brush and smoother. Do not try to put too much on in one go as it will run. As advised mix in a separate container and check with the viscosity funnel get it to run in about 50 secs and you will have no trouble. Honest :D
Les

This spray kit better be good Philly. Last week I rang the three B & Q warehouses overhere. "Can you check if you have the PP HVLP paint spray kit etc in stock?"
"HPLP?"
"No, HVLP, HIGH VOLUME LOW PRESSURE"
"Would that be hardware or paint"?
"Dunno, try paint first"
"Do you have the barcode"?
"No"
"Well we need the barcode"
"I don't have a barcode. How am I supposed to know the barcode? If I had a box in front of me I'd know the barcode. I just want to buy one"
"Right sir, I'll put you through to the paint section""Paint, can I help you?""Hope so, I'm looking for the Performance Power HVLP........."
"HP what?"
Anyway you get the picture.
"Wagner Sir?"
"Ah, nope...."
"You can ring Performance Power, Sir"
"Bye"

PP tell me that I need a barcode. I ask if they can just do a search for HVLP? Nope, need the barcode! Of course, silly me.
PP suggest I ring B & Q customer service. Before I do this I rang the Poole branch (Philly's local) and got a very nice man to find a kit on the shelf and tell me what the barcode is. Bingo, I have a barcode. I HAVE A BARCODE.
Ring B & Q customer service to find out which of my local stores has one in stock. Another nice man tells me the barcode I have does not exist.....Life is too short and I'll stick to paint brushes....Quickly loosing the will to live. One last question to the nice B & Q man, "Can you do a search on HVLP?"
"Of course sir"
And it's bingo time number 2!!! The last number of the "Poole" barcode was wrong. And was there one in stock in the whole of N Ireland? NOOOO, of course not. But I can ask my local store to order the paint kit. Excellent says I.
"Hello again, it's me, I have a barcode!"
"I'm afraid we can only order in bulk"
"What?" Your customer centre assured me I could order a single item"
"Ok sir, let me check and I'll ring you back"
30 mins later the very nice Aimee said no problem, I can order the Spray Kit. Whoopee, here's my card details.
"Sorry sir, you have to come to the store and pay in person"
After minor moment of expletiveness I agreed.
So Philly, better be worth it...................
Also, all the B & Q people were polite and kinda of helpful during the above adventure. But it better turn up this week.

Noel, in anticipation

Noel
Sounds like a real mission, Mate! :shock: :lol:
Oh please let him like it, please let him like it, please let him like it.... :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Noel, I have tried B&Q stores in Dublin and Cork, without luck. One Dublin store, over the phone told me that they have one, but judging by the price it is a different product (I think they said it was about 25euro). Is there any chance that you could PM me the barcode so that I could chase them up again?

Thanks.

Here you go:

The barcode is 03265673. Official description is:
PP HVLP PAINT KIT FMTCHVLPPK
Mine still hasn't arrived yet even although they said 7 - 10 days. Hopefully this week sometime.
And the "Line Code" is 0001, whatever that is.
Let us know how you get on.

Rgds

Noel

Noel kindly sent me the barcode and once I had this managed to track one down fairly local.

Thanks Noel.

John

Thanks a lot Noel. I rang one store, only to be told that it could take between 4 and 8 weeks for delivery to their store (and I'd have to pay in advance, which seems a bit strange when the delivery would take so long). They suggested that I try their main Dublin branch just in case they have one, but so far that branch has hung up on me each time I get through to a human. :evil: I foresee a saga something like your experience!

I had very similar problems with B&Q in my hunt...

Thank you Noel for that bit of detective work.

With that barcode you gave us I pulled up b&q shed locater and the first phone call to a shed that I never frequent had one left.

So I hope that applying finishes in the future will not be a chore as it is now.

Cheers

Well, after nearly 3 weeks (7-10 days, sir) I got a call today and went up and collected it. Quick read of the instructions (now I know what a viscosity cup is...) and some diluted emulsion. Pretty impressed with it. Took a while to find the right settings but overall I'm happy with it. One small problem - it doesn't exactly stop throwing out the paint when I release the trigger. Return spring? Or is that the nature of these things? Had to turn the flow off with the knob or switch the turbine off.
Cheers Philly.

Noel

Back