Cheap HVLP Spraygun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Whilst strolling round my local B+Q Warehouse I came across a "Performance Power HVLP" spraygun set. I've been bitten in the past when buying cheapy tools but I couldn't resist. (I know, I know-a fool and his money... :roll: ) It cost £49 and includes a nice ally spraygun, the turbine, spare nozzle and a viscosity cup. I was quite impressed by the gun. I was expecting a semi-useless plastic thing but it is well made and has a nice weight. Controls are airflow and paint flow-simple to adjust and both at the rear of the gun. Assembly is straightforward-screw the gun holder to the underside of the turbine, stick on rubber feet and attach the hose. You're ready to go! :D
hvlp1.jpg

The hose is only 2 meters long and I was worried it would be too short. But in use I had no problems and didn't really notice it. The turbine was pretty quiet, about the volume of a household vaccuum cleaner. The gun constantly sprays air when the turbine is switched on and I found this useful for a final "dust-down" of pieces before pulling the trigger.
So to test it out......I'm building some cupboards and bookcases in my favourite material MDF at the moment. Finish is to be white eggshell. So a perfect excuse to get spraying. :D First up, white oil based primer. Thinned it down with white spirit to get it ready for spraying. Quick test on some cardboard to get to grips with the controls. Easy peasy! Took 15 seconds to get everything happy and consistent. Sprayed 8 cabinets, 6 shelves and 3 half sheets of mdf inabout 5 minutes! Amazing quick, minimal overspray and bounceback and a great finish. I found the gun to be very forgiving of variations in paint thickness-a quick tweak of the air flow and off you go. It was nice not to have overspray floating around gassing me. (PLEASE NOTE!! I used a paint rated face mask, extractor fan and open doors to ensure a constant flow of air through the workshop when spraying. Safety first!! :shock: ) If you have used a regular spraygun with a compressor you will be amazed at how much paint get on the workpiece-and how little goes into the air!
hvlp2.jpg

Likewise, the eggshell went on in a similarly simple manner. I like this gun!! :lol: The amount of time it saved over the paint brush/roller is huge. And the finish was excellent!
I will be trying out the gun with some lacquer and water based varnish and will report back on my progress. This is a really useful tool and at the price (£49) within reach of most woodies. If you have ever fancied spraying a finish this might be the way to get started.
Cheers
Philly :D

I'm very interested too. Not only would cleaning be important to me, but how noisy is it?

Gill

Clean up was straight forward-the gun completely dissembles for cleaning, although I found flushing it through with thinners a couple of times and cleaning the nozzle and spray cap with a thinners soaked brush was all it needed.
Noise-this was something that had me worried. I've heard stories of helicopter style volumes from these kinda things.... :lol: You'll be pleased to know it is quieter than the Missus' Dyson. I like! :lol: I have a compressor and spraygun which I've used in the past but the noise of the compressor banging away and the clouds of overspray have put me off. As well as getting consistent air pressure. This little thing is a gem-obviously its not going to give Fuji any sleepless nights but it WORKS! And pretty well. This is definitely not in the Wagner electric spraygun category :twisted:
I'm looking forward to giving it a spin with some lacquer. Report to follow.
Oh, and sorry about the temptation thing............ :lol:
Cheers

Thanks Philly. I was just thinking about buying a compressor kit with spray gun to Paint an MDF Cabinet. Looks like this is the one for me!

(BTW I liked your article in TWW this month.)

That sounds like a winner Philly.

What nozzle size does it come with? Did you have to dilute the paints a lot to get them to spray?

Cheers

Tim

tim
Sorry, at work at the moment and dont have the details-later! As to the paint-Dulux oil based primer-thinned with about 15% white spirit, eggshell about 10% WS. To be honest, the gun was really easy going-the thicker the paint you just gave it some more air and it was off.
Well worth a try-I certainly wont be using a roller anytime soon..... :lol:
Cheers

I think a trip to B&Q might be on the cards. Thanks Philly!

:)

Gill

Tim
There are two nozzles supplied with the gun- 1.3mm and 3mm. Only used the smaller one so far, I believe the bigger one is for spraying fences, etc... :lol:
I had a look in another B+Q Warehouse store locally-they didn't have them in stock. Also they are not shown on the website. They definitely have them in the Poole branch, though.
Hope this is of help,
Cheers

Thanks Philly ,

Perfect timing with this review I have 6 bedide cabinets to paint ,and I am getting fed up with spending more time painting than making.

Off i went rushing of to our nearest B & Q depot in Nottingham, but they had none in stock, and they say they have no plans to stock them!

I trudged off home all disappointed, still with £50 but no tool and a day's painting in front of me.

I have been looking at an HVLP sprayer for a long time, but couldn't justify the money against the use it would get,

That is why i stuck with the compressor.

But for 50 bucks, well you cannot go wrong, And as the misses is ready to do the fence and the decking, well i just might pop in there myself.

Or actually it will be the misses that will be doing that for me tomorrow, I think it will be the Brighton branch

He Philly,

I just read that you can also use the HVLP sprayer as an Airbrush Tan System :lol:

Better keep the sprayer away from the missus :wink:

Mcluma wrote:
But for 50 bucks, well you cannot go wrong

Surely they don't really take dollars in B&Q at a 1:1 exchange rate?

Must have stayed in the states to long :cry: , i meant Pounds :wink:

Well the 2 local B&Q's to me don't have it and don't recall it either :(

Back