Cheap Dogs for MFT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mate of mine has been using overflow pipe in place of dogs for years so I imagine electrical conduit would also work well.

I've been using 20mm conduit as rough & ready dogs for ages.
It is a rather loose fit in my Festool MFT and it falls straight through the hole without a shoulder on it but is a real snug fit in my full size CNC'd MFT top.
I dont fill the centre of mine with wood either...!

I should imagine for a single dog anything that sticks in the hole will do. For using an MFT for any of its more useful functions then you need more than one and having them highly similar becomes somewhat more important.

If you want cheap dogs then use 20mm electrical conduit but stick a coupling on the end with solvent cement, it will prevent it falling straight through the hole . Overflow pipe is slightly larger at 21.5mm so may give a really tight fit.

I should imagine for a single dog anything that sticks in the hole will do. For using an MFT for any of its more useful functions then you need more than one and having them highly similar becomes somewhat more important.

I see, do you have to buy into a system if you use this stuff or is it all interchangeable between the brands ?

That's a good solution. If you had a lathe as well you could make all the fancy dogs.

That being said, a 1m length of 20mm aluminium bar is only a tenner or so.

I see, do you have to buy into a system if you use this stuff or is it all interchangeable between the brands ?
I bought a set of UJK dogs from Axminster for my new MFT from CNC Designs and they were too loose, despite Axminster stating that they would fit any 20mm MFT. I returned them and bought a set of Quad Dogs from Bench Dogs which are excellent.

That's a good solution. If you had a lathe as well you could make all the fancy dogs.

That being said, a 1m length of 20mm aluminium bar is only a tenner or so.

I do have one of those contraptions, but the problem is, is that I don't have an MFT table. But by the looks of it, one would make a good gluing bench for circular stuff made from segments.

Is it a festool thing ? I seem to remember them bringing out something like it 10 years ago with the collapsible router table/table saw system which I have.

Last edited:
Back