Cheap copying

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
This method that Phil Streeting showed us a while ago is brilliant. I normally duplicate by eye and calipers but using a split paper pattern makes the basic job so easy its ridiculous. You still have to refine the details but all the basics are done in a jiffy. As soon as the paper drops, its there.

Terrific idea. So often, its the simple things that work best - look at me :lol:

Attachments

• 100_3735.jpg
    100_3735.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 740
Expect it will be obvious when explained, but hasn't quite clicked for me yet ?!!!

Are you just making a template to work to ?

Cheers, Paul

paulm":zlw39y2e said:
Expect it will be obvious when explained, but hasn't quite clicked for me yet ?!!!

Are you just making a template to work to ?

Cheers, Paul

Yes BUT.... because the template is split along its length - maybe the pic isn't obvious- each section can drop individually so you can work on each bit rather than gradually reducing the whole thing until the pattern fits. Its very quick and easy.

Aaah, think I've got it now, like lots of fingers and when you get the right shape/diameter in front of a finger it drops past the wood, clever !

Cheers, Paul

paulm":2zik33df said:
Aaah, think I've got it now, like lots of fingers and when you get the right shape/diameter in front of a finger it drops past the wood, clever !

Cheers, Paul

Precisement!

Don't ya just hate it when this happens??

Shape went fine straight off the pattern, just needed to refine the details and sand and move onto number three. Stopped the lathe and a chunk has fallen out at the base. I didn't feel it under the tool. I can't just shorten it as its one of a set. Looks like I will have to do another pair!! Probably won't pierce them though, the shape isn't too bad as it is so someone will probably go for them.

Rats.

Attachments

• rats.jpg
    rats.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 626
Back