Cheap chip extractor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok this might sound a bit daft but I'm thinking of using 2 dust extractors on my PT. No matter what I do there seems to be some dust thrown back at me when thicknessing, today I was using some Idigbo and the dust off that stuff is not nice which put the idea in my head.

I held the extractor hose from my saw in a strategic place today while thicknessing and it helped so looking at getting a cheap extractor to do this job.

Was looking at something like this, seems similar to most in the price range, also extra 7% off if I buy it today.

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...007430212160-Dust--Chip-Extractor-Vacuum-240V
Can't remember what normally gets recommended as a cheap extractor, is it a fox model?

Thanks for any opinions.

That's not really a cheap extractor.
A £25 vacuum cleaner from Lidl is what I use for the top of my table saw. Now that's cheap.

It's a bag over bag type extractor I am after, the link I have added might be confusing as for some reason they have described it as a vacuum :rolleyes:

I have edited the title to "Chip Extractor"

Doug, I've used a Sedgwick PT with a 12kw extractor running it with Sedgwick's own extraction fittings and you still ended up with two large piles of shavings building up at the front and rear of the machine when thicknessing :ROFLMAO:

I don't think an extra extractor on the line will help you in any way, might make things worse if anything.

Andy, yeah pretty sure I have tried everything.

Trevanion, I have realised it is just the design of the machine. It's frustrating as no dust or shavings used to escape from my little 10" Axi PT, although I am finding myself hogging more off at a time with the Sedgwick which won't help 😀 Thinking about it my old Wadkin PT always had a pile of shavings around it and that ran off a big extraction system, guess the old machines just weren't designed with extraction in mind.

The second extractor was more to catch the shavings before they hit the floor so shouldn't be fighting the main one.

I will have a proper try using the extractor from my table saw as a second extractor to see if it makes much difference, probably wasting my time again though :rolleyes:

When I had an old Wadkin planer I made two 100mm plywood dust ports one for under each table & connected both to a 150mm branch, I had found about a 1/4 of the shavings produced came out from under the infeed table this solution really helped.

When I had an old Wadkin planer I made two 100mm plywood dust ports one for under each table & connected both to a 150mm branch, I had found about a 1/4 of the shavings produced came out from under the infeed table this solution really helped.

Thanks Doug, pretty much what I am looking at doing, I upgraded to 150mm hose which hasn't really helped, I should have just gone down the 2 hose route in the first place :rolleyes:

Back