Cheap as chips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been for sale for a good few months that lathe but I agree its a lovely thing for that money
shame the proper tailstock is missing though and I always think that the control box stuck up on top looks crude theres lots of room inside to put it.

It has got parts missing and they are very expensive. The swan neck and tennon block are almost impossible to find.
The short beds with all the parts fetch better money than the longer beds.
I take your point the vari speed is a nice touch but you can do a conversion from 200 to 400£s

it took a while to find it all but I bought this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INVERTER-...UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item4cfd4f9ada (slightly cheaper a just over year ago.)

and this in separate bits from different sellers

297750_238071676246194_100001300895855_615572_456737288_n.jpg

It is the longer bed version.
It all came in well under £1000, could do with a coat of paint but to be honest that makes no difference to the turning.

The big issue I have with these Graduates is that they only swing 12" bowls over the bed, unless you indulge in some serious engineering (or drop a shedload for the upgrade kit). I've seen one heavily modified Graduate that swings about 18", which is what I believe they should have been designed to do in the first instance, and it was a great machine! It's a real shame as these are fantastic machines, just wrongly designed (in my view).

Cheers
Aled (sorry to go a little off topic)

Aled Dafis":1c8crswz said:
The big issue I have with these Graduates is that they only swing 12" bowls over the bed, unless you indulge in some serious engineering (or drop a shedload for the upgrade kit). I've seen one heavily modified Graduate that swings about 18", which is what I believe they should have been designed to do in the first instance, and it was a great machine! It's a real shame as these are fantastic machines, just wrongly designed (in my view).

Cheers
Aled (sorry to go a little off topic)

i agree, the graduate they have in schools only swings 8" and its a huge machine - i dont see what negative effect it would have for the designers to move the bed down about 8 inches...? on lighter weight machines i could understand that lowering the bed might make the machine bow slightly under heavy tailstock pressure but these machines are HEAVY

I think that one was bought by one of my year 11s dads, I will check next week, he was definatly watching it and phoned the college up.

I get what you are saying about the 8" swing but be honest how often do you turn more than 8" between centres.

All bowl work can be done on the left side, which is better anyway because the bed doesnt get in the way and knock your chisel handle

richburrow":470kv6dm said:
I think that one was bought by one of my year 11s dads, I will check next week, he was definatly watching it and phoned the college up.

That's excellent, one of my year 11's has also bought a lathe recently.

richburrow":470kv6dm said:
I get what you are saying about the 8" swing but be honest how often do you turn more than 8" between centres.

Just about every time I turn a bowl, I always start between centres with out of balance lumps just for that extra bit of support. Have you seen Glenn Lucas' vids on Youtube/DVD, he roughs out all his bowls (1000's :shock: ) between centres using a 6" drive centre/plate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mToh...UCGXQYbcTJ33a7pd73tdW4cBHGkVutNHu8c52PjO6Ke0E

Wow, this guy's good!

Aled

Back