Cheap and quick doors for cupboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFFF

Established Member
Reaction score
Have made a cabinet for a customer to enclose an unsightly steel girder and a electrical distribution board. The frame is made out of 63x38mm stud timber and its cladded with 9mm ply - nothing fancy but something to tidy up the corner of a car showroom, its all going to be painted in gloss white when finished. I need to put 4 inset doors on it using butt hinges. The doors will be approx 1400x450x18mm. So, got to make these up and I'm not sure of the best material to use. If I use MDF or ply I would need to edge the hinge side with solid timber to take the hinges. Or I could use blockboard. Would this be suitable. The showroom is heated and has a fairly constant humidity as its used to store classic cars. Any thoughts?

Is there any way that you could use euro/concealed hinges? Those and MDF are generally my first choice for jobs like you are doing.

Blockboard would be fine using butt hinges although I haven't used it for years and imagine it could be quite pricey these days?

A common trick if using MDF and butt hinges is to drill and glue some dowels in to the back of the MDF, kind of like cross dowels for the hinge screws to go through.

Never done it myself but I have seen countless hinges just screwed in to the edge of MDF which have survived fine if they are not used much. The trick is MR MDF, long screws and pilot holes but I wouldn't recommend it.

If it's a quick, cheap job you could probably get away with flush hinges rather than butts, saves chopping them in.

Can you do the doors overlay instead of inset? This is often easier and can open up more options for hinges.

Back