• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Chat room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
As the UKwoodworking chat room seems to have gone quiet, mainly due to eveyone leaving and coming here, would you consider adding a chat facility so we can pop in on sunday evenings? I've tried UK_woodworking the last few weeks and been either one of only one or two people, or have logged back off immediately as noone else was there.

Adam

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
If a chat room is set up, perhaps trying a few alternative times/days might be worth doing? Or better yet, is it possible to set up a chat room with this board that allows you to see if there's anyone in there? That way impromptu chats during the working (ha-hum :oops: ) day might be possible for those members who don't have home internet access. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear that UKWW has gone rather quiet. :(

Cheers, Alf

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
ALF,

Isn't that the domain of Instant Messenger? Says ASL who runs, Instant Messenger, Sametime Connect, and very occasionally, MSN Messenger.

Are you on any of those ALF?

A_L

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam,

I was thinking of something like they have at Traditional Tools. If you scroll down to the bottom and look at the "Who's Online" bit you'll see what I mean. Dunno what their chat room's like though. Just seems a nice idea if you had a bit of time in a lunch break or whatever to have a chat room open and see who popped in.

Yep, I do use one of the instant messengers, but I find it's difficult to know whether someone has time for a natter or not. Sometimes they might be "online" for work purposes or whatever and really don't need a mad neanderthal typing idiocities :lol: But if you're sitting there with a chat room window open you can hardly be objecting to being disturbed!

Cheers, Alf

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
ALF,

Sometimes I think you are evil :twisted: (well OK, perhaps not that extreme :D ). You appear to have just pointed me to yet another forum of interest. :shock:

I am supposed to find time to do some woodworking sometime, but end up having to check all my favourite forums. And the list keeps growing. I think I need someone to blame :roll: . I mean, honestly, a year ago, would I have ever, seriously considered buying a tool without a tail? :wink:

Hmmm......

A_L

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I like this idea :D :!:

Lets organise a chat session sometime for woodworkers, we can hold it on www.woodworker.me.uk as thats a free domain name i've got for nothing in particular. We could spam the other UK Boards aswell, try to build up some considerable chatters.

When shall we make it :?:

AN idea is on a saturday, say @ 7pm ( WE CAN START THIS WEEKEND! )(Sound good or not??) :idea: :?:

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Saturday? are you joking? Thats drinking night.....

Sunday night is the "beer free" night of the week.......

Sunday is much better as most people are just relaxing, not out at the pub/cinema/etc

And this weekend is a bit too close to Xmas, perhaps the first weekend of the new year would be appropriate?

That way we might kick off with a decent number?

Just my thoughts, on the other hand, a trial run might not be a bad idea.

I'm sure some regulars, ALF, Newbie_Neil, Noel, Scrit, and a few from UK_woodworking would turn up no probs.....

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
SDA wrote:

"as thats a free domain name i've got for nothing in particular"

When i go to that site I get

"Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'wwer@WEB2' (Using password: YES) in c:\domains\woodworker.me.uk\wwwroot\global.inc.php on line 26
Fehler beim MySQL-Zugriff!!

Have the gremlins got that one too?

A_L

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
nope, as I said its FREE :p

It was going to be used for my free "Woodspace" but the script didnt want to work. Anyone know anything about ASP.net?? :? :p

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Starting in the new year sounds good, and why not just see how it goes purely based on mentioning it on this site first? See what kind of response you get? Just my tuppence worth. :)

Cheers, Alf

Who may need a little practice to get up to chat room typing speed again. :?

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Alf":3ihazm34 said:
(I) may need a little practice to get up to chat room typing speed again.
Don't Dried Frog Pills help you stop worrying about such matters? I thought it was essential to pop a couple before participating in any chatroom :wink: :) .

Yours

Gill

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the virtual ones I'm on now work as well.

-Hello, Mr Jelly. Out of spoon error. Able was I, ere I saw Elba. Wibble.-

I dunno though, wadda you think...? :D -Parp-

Cheers, Alf

Dewy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a few weeks late with this suggestion (only joined yesterday) but I have used a chat program that uses voice rooms for 4 years & can recommend it. Unfortunately the program I use has many thousands online 24 hours a day so you can expect to be disturbed by people just looking around (or being deliberately obstructive) The cure is to create a private or locked room but they are limited to 10. The program I use is at www.paltalk.com

I recently became aware of a program that is a total communication package & it even has a link to a co-branding kit so you can customise it & zip the file so those who logon from the file you send can only enter your rooms. Its totally free (paid for by a small advert banner at the bottom of the screen. It even has a whiteboard so ideas can be passed on as drawings.
http://www.gcn.cx is the site.
Last week I customised the program for a group of multiple sclerosis sufferers. I created a screen names for some moderators in the MS room on Paltalk, sent the names & passwords to the lady in North carolina who runs the group. I also registered her as the room owner on the new program & sent her the zip file to pass on to her friends.
I am now waiting to see how they like it as the font when typing is small (like this) & many with MS have bad eyesight (although fonts can be set to any size you like when you send or receive) This program has one fault in that you have to activate the voice chat everytime you enter the room. This is because you can be in a number of rooms at once & only one can have sound.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
They haven't forgotten as I gave James another nudge last night - o.k. we chatted for quite a while and as you mention, I think it is a case of them wanting to find a "perfect" solution rather than one which has a few teething problems as they get lots of hassle from the members.

So fingers crossed it might not be toooo long!!

A_L

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
Little update,

I spoke to Charley last night, and he agreed on the idea. I'm going to work on the chat room now - finding a suitable online solution that is good stuff.

PS - Alf - i'm now addicted to that game :roll:

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, James :oops:

I won't link to the Battleships game I'm currently addicted with then... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Whats the game SDA is currently addicted to, and whats the link to the good battleships game?

People are interested and need to know.......

A

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Well if there's a chance of this many people being on chat at the same time I'll go practice Tetris - Advanced level, as u need the same abilities to follow a conversation usually. :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: