Charnwood W650 Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whittler1507

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, have today taken delivery of the a new Charnwood W650 table saw.

Thought I'd share with you my initial thoughts.

I should say that I'm a hobbie woodworker not a professional so it's based upon my limited experience. Firstly like most I have limited shop space, and wanted a decent reasonably priced saw. That hopefully wouldn't completely consume the floor space in my garage.

After looking for a long time I was really considering a contractor type saw, ie Bosch gts 10/,makita 2704. The only reason i went for a bigger saw was noise and price. For roughly the same cost i could get an induction motor, comparable power, i looked long and hard at the sip 01574 and kitty 419. I decided on the Charnwood because it came with a sliding table, cast iron main table but pressed table extensions. (I read somewhere that the sip had cast iron extensions and didn't want the extra weight)

So firstly ordering....pretty straight forward direct through Charnwood website. I ordered the saw, a couple of additional blades to replace the stock blade and the mobile base.

One thing I didn't consider was 25 quid for delivery, the sip had free delivery so that might be something to consider.

Delivery was excellent, next day

Setting up was relatively painless, I should say the instructions for the mobile base are rubbish, so forget about using them, they are more of a hindrance if anything.

The instructions for the saw are also pretty poor, plenty of safety, and how to operate etc, but not much in actually putting the thing together correctly. The diagrams that are in the instructions are small and hard to read, but they can be used.

You should really use two people I think to set this saw up. Or at least get it UN bolted from the packing crate i did it myself but it's quite heavy at 100+ ilbs.

Getting the sliding rail set up and in line with the main table was a bit of a pain, I'm still about 0.5 mm out on the back end but will have another go on the weekend. That said the sliding table is excellent and really makes cross cutting much easier. You can use this as cut at different angles as well as 90 degrees to the blade. There is also a mitre guide which is cast iron with stops for common angles.

Everything else went really well, the table is nice and flat, mitre slots either side of the blade are deep enough and the included mitre fits snug without any wobble/play.

So far I'm well chuffed, ripped some oak 75mm x 75mm and the saw was very quiet, and cut through it like butter, very impressed.

whittler1507":gw9v9148 said:
The instructions for the saw are also pretty poor, plenty of safety, and how to operate etc, but not much in actually putting the thing together correctly. The diagrams that are in the instructions are small and hard to read, but they can be used.

You can download the parts list and instructions from http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/1 ... -table-saw which would allow you to enlarge the diagrams to a certain extent.

The instructions are basic - as seems to be the case with so many woodworking machines. It may be the case that the same saw is sold by other manufacturers (here and abroad) with different branding and better instructions - I've certainly found this in the past.

Misterfish

Now that people have used it for a while is this saw considered a good buy?

Am I correct in thinking that the Charnwood w650 now has mitre slots in the table? I have been looking on ebay and some show slots in the photos and others don't.

Thanks Rodders

From what I can find out when the saw (w650) was released it didn't have a slot but that wasn't liked by many and they have added one to it.

However I have asked the seller to clarify.

Cheers

Dave

I bought one at the Yandles show on Fri, expecting delivery on Tue. The latest version does have mitre slots for sure. Also I believe the motor has been uprated from 1700w to 2200w.

I originally bought the axi ts250 just before christmas, pressie from swmbo, but it had a fault and went back. Given up waiting for the mkii to come into stock.

Seriously considering this one but will need to see one up close to make the call. Either the w650 or the newer smaller unit the w629... Not t much in it though...

MikeH":4mify6m5 said:
I bought one at the Yandles show on Fri, expecting delivery on Tue. The latest version does have mitre slots for sure. Also I believe the motor has been uprated from 1700w to 2200w.

I originally bought the axi ts250 just before christmas, pressie from swmbo, but it had a fault and went back. Given up waiting for the mkii to come into stock.

Did you get it ok and does it meet expectations?

I'm still procrastinating, work has dropped off a bit at the moment so in less of a hurry to make a choice right now but must do it soon.

Yes, arrived as expected on Tue. Have put it all together and run a couple of test cuts, all seems OK. It is physically slightly smaller than the full Axi version so fits in better. Still got to fettle it and use it in anger but happy so far. I did contact support for:
1. At the show it said it was 2200w but the label said 1700w. Support stated the motors were all now 2200w and the badging had not caught up.
2. The sliding table is slightly "grainy". Support guy pointed me at some adjustment on cams to loosen it slightly. Have yet to try that though.

Overall, so far I am pleased but I really have not used it yet.

whittler1507":1t0wifbp said:

I should say that I'm a hobbie woodworker not a professional so it's based upon my limited experience. Firstly like most I have limited shop space, and wanted a decent reasonably priced saw. That hopefully wouldn't completely consume the floor space in my garage.

After looking for a long time I was really considering a contractor type saw, ie Bosch gts 10/,makita 2704. The only reason i went for a bigger saw was noise and price. For roughly the same cost i could get an induction motor, comparable power, i looked long and hard at the sip 01574 and kitty 419. I decided on the Charnwood because it came with a sliding table, cast iron main table but pressed table extensions. (I read somewhere that the sip had cast iron extensions and didn't want the extra weight)

Then it looks like you didn't do much research!...For about a quarter of the price you paid for your W650 you could have had the far lighter and much more mobile Scheppach TS30, which like the W650, also has a quiet 2200 watt, auto-braked, induction motor, plus sliding carriage and extension table!

I think there are some flaws in your research methodology Alf. But I suppose we are all looking for different things in what we put in our workshop.

Personally, I ditched a saw not too dissimilar to the one you mention in order to upgrade to the Charnwood so I do have experience of both ends of the spectrum.

MikeH":e80tm1yr said:
I think there are some flaws in your research methodology Alf. But I suppose we are all looking for different things in what we put in our workshop.

Personally, I ditched a saw not too dissimilar to the one you mention in order to upgrade to the Charnwood so I do have experience of both ends of the spectrum.

I don't have the luxury of a workshop so I need a portable saw that can resist being kept in damp conditions (for instance being kept in a back garden under a tarp or in a damp garage...That rules out any table saw with a cast iron top for me. And value for money is my motto...After conducting lots of research on most of the currently available table saws, taking price, specifications and brand awareness into account (and how that can effect resale values), I determined that the Scheppach TS30 currently offers the best value for money.

just as an update I have now gone for a secondhand saw, I do have a large workshop and am lucky enough to have 3-phase power.

I think that the Charnwood W650 is basically a good product, but like all new saws it will need varying degrees of tuning.

I have now got a Startrite TA275 recently taken out of a college in nice condition and at the right price.

Fully understand you Alf, in your case a cast iron top may not be the best choice. As I said we all look at what we need, and one persons ideal choice would be another's last option I suppose. My shop isn't very big and I did spend some time considering if a largish cabinet saw was the best choice, but it's always a bit of compromise as with most things in life.

I do own a charnwood table saw and it is the baby model which take the smaller blade w619 8 ". delivery was good and easy enough to assemble with a bit of patients and well packaged. i will start with the bad points. holes in general dont line up great for the body of the machine. no casters on it which i could have done with but easy enough to make your own.the side table was way out and has never run true to the cast top and the part's for the sliding table are really poor quality but can be easily fixed. the fence is well .... not great but i have got buy with it after some messing around but not great. The good points ! out of the box the blade was pretty spot on to 90 and 45 easy to adjust anyway. the sliding table is not bad at all for the money it cost with a bit of messing you can get it spot on and well mine seems to have stayed true. the saw on it's own is a great little saw i have chucked all sorts of things at it scaffold boards large 3-6" inch beams. oak ask mahogany etc and it's never skipped a beat the little beast has guts and wants to work. i like the saw a lot for the price but yet again it is left wanting because of all the bits that matter too. it would be a great buy for a first time saw or a hobby saw. and with a little patients and some fiddling she aint bad for the money !

I've got a w650, had it 2 years now probably. I've snapped most of the plastic levers on it, and it's got a reoccurring fault with the tilt mechanism, there's a circlip which keeps popping out of the shaft when trying to get the saw back from 45 degrees, I've changed the shaft and the circlip a few times but it still happens. Poor design imo. I wouldn't buy another charnwood.

whittler1507":h897kx12 said:

So firstly ordering....pretty straight forward direct through Charnwood website. I ordered the saw, a couple of additional blades to replace the stock blade and the mobile base.

One thing I didn't consider was 25 quid for delivery, the sip had free delivery so that might be something to consider.

Delivery was excellent, next day

Setting up was relatively painless, I should say the instructions for the mobile base are rubbish, so forget about using them, they are more of a hindrance if anything.

You should really use two people I think to set this saw up. Or at least get it UN bolted from the packing crate i did it myself but it's quite heavy at 100+ ilbs.

Getting the sliding rail set up and in line with the main table was a bit of a pain, I'm still about 0.5 mm out on the back end but will have another go on the weekend. That said the sliding table is excellent and really makes cross cutting much easier. You can use this as cut at different angles as well as 90 degrees to the blade. There is also a mitre guide which is cast iron with stops for common angles.

Everything else went really well, the table is nice and flat, mitre slots either side of the blade are deep enough and the included mitre fits snug without any wobble/play.

So far I'm well chuffed, ripped some oak 75mm x 75mm and the saw was very quiet, and cut through it like butter, very impressed.

I can now confirm that the Charnwood W625P table saw is almost certainly made by the same far Eastern manufacturer as the Scheppach TS30, as their optional extension tables are absolutely identical! The only differences I could find between the Charnwood W625ET 800mm x 400mm extension table kit and the extension table supplied with my TS30 are the support struts that are supplied with the Charnwood kit have a slightly darker blue powder coating than the otherwise identical Scheppach support struts and the W625ET kit costs almost half the price of the Scheppach branded version! Even though you get a much more powerful induction motor with the Scheppach TS30 (2.2 kW vs 1.6 kW) it actually costs less than the Charnwood version! So the Scheppach TS30 definitely offers the best value for money of the two.

Hi All,

I am now the proud owner of a new Charnwood W650 :) and after so many years of having a cheap and cheerful contractor style saw, it is like a breath of fresh air, although I have to say I am having one or two problems setting it up and wondered if anyone could give me a few pointers before I go back to Charnwood.

The biggest issue I have is getting an accurate 90 degree cut using the sliding table and fence. I have tried and tried and just as I think I get it right, take another cut and its out again, by quite a bit too! It's driving me mad!! I've checked and adjusted where neccesary everything I can think of, table and mitre slot parallel to the blade, sliding table parallel to the main table etc. etc. Sliding table fence has an adjuster which works on an eccentric and is supposed to be the method for setting the fence to return to 90 degrees etc. I've almost worn this out trying to get it right, but no joy.

Any help much appreciated guys :)

Other than the above, the riving knife and the table insert being 1mm below the surface, it's a great saw :)

Pete

Latest posts

Back