Charnwood universal rip fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harquil

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of adding the Charnwood universal rip fence to my Dewalt 7458 to give it some extra capacity.

Cant really find any reviews on it or if its any good?

Thoughts at all?

Ta

whenever I see Charnwood as the manufacturer I see the following in my minds eye:
electrics by Alfa circa 1970
mechanics by Trabant circa 1982
and built by BL circa 1970s
and QC by the central committee of the USSR Chernobyl sub committee

I am bias because Charnwood is close enough for me to visit and I know the blokes there now. But their stuff is most likely made in the same factory as record, Axminster and all the rest.
They have always given me good support and their kit is value for money.

Anyone here who is just going on perceptions ( suckered by slick marketing) than experience is not adding anything to the discussion.

I've had Charnwood kit before and it has all been a POS

Droogs":3giqqcbm said:
I've had Charnwood kit before and it has all been a POS

Fair enough if your views are based on experience.
What did you buy and what was wrong with it?

Ok a lot of the stuff comes out of similar/same Chinese factories and the castings come out of similar foundrys but the difference is made by the level of quality control imposed by the resellers.
AFAIK, Axi have staff permanently installed in China to endeavour to keep the QC high. Even then the odd lemons escape.
Some products can be fettled after purchase to iron out problems but some weaknesses are designed in and will always nag at you.
As far as fences are concerned, there are loads of youtube vids on making beisemeyer fence clones so you can get it right from the ground up. Not all need welding and some are even made from MRMDF for the metalwork phobic.

I've got a charnwood table saw and it's absolutely wank. The tilt for the saw uses a crappy circlip and it keeps popping off. I've changed the shaft and changed the circlip at my expense and it still happens. No way I'd recommend them to anyone. When my saw was delivered the rip fence wouldn't even fit on because it was machined wrongly so I had to get a replacement sent. Total rubbish IMO

Conversely I have the very cheapest table saw they sell and it's been fine for five years.
I have fettled it a bit to make maintainance easier but otherwise ......
Hope I have not tempted fate!!!

hmmm

maybe i should just leave it and stick with the dewalt fence that comes with it.

Just looking into getting a longer fence before I build a workbench around it.

Axminster have (or had) some nice ones, variously labelled "bandsaw" and "table saw". I bought two of the tall bandsaw ones (for both machines), I have yet to fit the second one (to the table saw), but the same one on the band saw is very nice indeed. I have a horrid feeling though that they have got rather expensive I paid well under 100 quid each for mine.

Have you looked on Amazon and/or eBay just to see if there's anything there? I suspect Chinese stuff will be close to sold out though, presently.

But Myfordman, is right on several counts: I was there with him on a day out when we were told about Axminster's purchasing and QC office in China (by the MD's wife no less).

Anyway, there are a lot of DIY Biesmeyer designs out there, including a very sturdy one from Mr. Maskery of this parish. It's too big for my saw and anyway I already have a fence, but if I didn't, Steve's one also needs no welding, IIRC. If I'm wrong, I expect he will be along in a minute to correct me...

You ought to be able to get/make something suitable fairly easily.

Don't forget that, for safety with natural timber, a rip fence ought to be short. So if you do a DIY design, make sure you can arrange for a short auxiliary fence to fit. It's pretty easy, but just don't paint yourself into a corner.

E.

I can't advertise, so you'll have to hunt for it yourself, but if you follow the link in my signature, you will have a good start. My fence is every bit as sturdy as a proper Beismeyer and doesn't cost a lot to make. No welding, just drilling and tapping.

As a freebie, here is a vintage clip if a very young, slim and handsome chap explaining why you need a short fence for ripping.
[youtube]d7QXIN2X8-w[/youtube]

That is not the short fence I have on my saw these days, but the principle is the same.

Back