Charnwood Router Table Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided to buy a cheapish router table as a quick and easy way to start doing some small projects. Took delivery of a Charnwood WO14 last week and whilst it's certainly not a premium feeling product it seemed fit for purpose.

I've mounted my Hitachi M12VE in it and it seemed ok at first but over the last week it's developed a noticeable sag that shows as several MM of day light when I put a straight edge accross it on both axis.

I've emailed Charnwood along with the original retailer but I suspect a new plate won't remedy the issue so potentially have to return the table as not fit for purpose.

Does anyone else have experience of this table or other Charnwood tables?

If I do end up returning it what's my options in the £200-£250 region? I did look at making one but that seemed expensive on the face of it.

On that sort of budget you are not going to get anything really good, however I have a version of this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Router-Table ... .l4275.c10 which suits it's purpose for me as a second string router table, you can't get much better for the cost, motor included with built in lift and speed control, it really is not that bad, but admit I did change the fence to an Axminster compact router tale one.

I have the Charnwood WO20. My previous table was a Charnwood, similar to the model you have just bought.It served me well for 20 years, but the plastic router plate ended up cracking and there was excessive sideways movement of the router. I tried to get a replacement router plate but they no longer supply that size,......and neither does anyone else....I spent hours searching the internet for one.

In the end, I really wanted one with a Cast Iron top and as I felt I'd had my monies worth out of the first Charnwood, I decided to opt for the WO20.

It is quite literally, a bit rough around the edges and mounting the router is a right fiddle, to say the least. But, it's solid and the cast iron top is flat.

It's made in the Far East.....but it does have a Union Jack and the Euro flag on the label.....Irony!

Overall, I'm reasonably happy with the purchase and this is a picture of my first major project that I made with it......

20200416_184108.jpg

Attachments

• 20200416_184108.jpg
    20200416_184108.jpg
    793.6 KB · Views: 456
I'm wondering if the one I have could take a decent aftermarket plate. The table itself for what it cost is not bad, rough round the edges as you say but the leg frame is sturdy and the fence is as good as any other basic router table. The plate could then be transfered into a better table in future

Alternative is to ask for a part ex and pay more to get the WO20

Measure your router plate and have a search on the internet for a metal one the same size. You may be lucky and the one you have may be a common size.....the old version certainly wasnt a standard size..!!!

Has the MDF top warped as well or is it just the plastic router plate?

It's sadly not a standard size and I've not been able to find anything that's a match.

No the too seems to be ok in honesty.

I'll see what the retailer says tomorrow, it was paid for by credit card so I have the protection of that at least as it's clearly not fit for intended use as it is now.

We have our AUK Bench Top Router table, good adjustable fence and extraction, NVR switch mounted to the tubular frame, 10MM solid Ali plate and a 26mm table top made in the UK. It knocks the socks of most of the small router tables I have seen if not all of them :) It also has a stainless steel insert plate within the table top to ensure the plates leveling screws do not eat into the table tops core with router vibration overtime.
Can't link to the product but give me a shout if you are interested.

Cheers Peter

Took a straight edge and feeler gauge to it today and it's a pretty solid 1mm out at the bit on both axis of the table.

I may we'll give you a call to discuss the AUG table Peter. It was on my short list originally but I wanted a floor standing table and didn't really want to build a base for a bench top one but seems that may be the best option now unless I'm prepared to spend £600+ or build one from scratch

Petey83":1cwcko43 said:
Took a straight edge and feeler gauge to it today and it's a pretty solid 1mm out at the bit on both axis of the table.

I may we'll give you a call to discuss the AUG table Peter. It was on my short list originally but I wanted a floor standing table and didn't really want to build a base for a bench top one but seems that may be the best option now unless I'm prepared to spend £600+ or build one from scratch

Be interested to know if it's still out that much without the Router attached, the Hitachi MV12 is a heavy old beast, I know because that's what I have fitted in my UKJ table.

394.jpeg

Attachments

• 394.jpeg
    394.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 321
MikeJhn":2ycci8p6 said:
Petey83":2ycci8p6 said:

Be interested to know if it's still out that much without the Router attached, the Hitachi MV12 is a heavy old beast, I know because that's what I have fitted in my UKJ table.

View attachment 394

I've had the plate out the table, removed the router and it's just as bowed. It's not as bad as when I'm the table as I think the levelling pins are letting the plate enough so as to give it a slither more unsupported space to sag further.

To add to matters the larger yellow insert ring sits proud on one side now as a result of the sagging.

Charnwood have sent out a replacement plate so we shall see but I have a horrible feeling it'll be the same story.

Polewood Machinery who I purchased from have said they have had another customer with the same issue recently so suspect a bad batch of plates as they've not had this issue before. They have said they'll take it back if it's not sorted with the new plate but it'll be difficult as I don't have the original box so not sure how I'll get it back to them.

Peter Sefton":2wsjbg15 said:
Hi Petey83

Sorry I cant read or reply to your PM's could you please email me directly.
Chas has sent me a couple of test PM's which have been fine but I know some others are not getting through the system.

[email protected]

Cheers Peter

have done so sir

cheers
Pete

New plate arrived from Charnwood today and was sagged on arrival. There is also the issue of the yellow outer insert ring sitting proud of the plate meaning the work piece will catch.

Putting the old and new plates face to face magnifies the issue for the eyes.

Have left a message for the retailer to figure out how I return given I don't have the box or packing now.

Latest posts

Back