Charnwood Extractor playing up :-(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hey guys,

Ive got a Charnwood double bag extractor which has a 3HP induction motor, lately its been a little troublesome.

When I push the start button on the no volt release it usually just fires up ok, but lately its reluctant to start, basically as soon as ive pushed start it hums & if you look at the fan blades they are trying to spin but are jammed, ive turned them by hand & they are free to spin ok, this jammed state seems variable, sometimes it can be only a second or two, sometimes more like 5 or 6 seconds, sometimes it fires up instantly.

Ive changed over the no volt release switch as I thought it could be contacts, but its not helped,

Any ideas as to what is wrong with this thing? ive had the mains supply to it on my meter & its steady at the usual 230v.. I was wondering if it could be the capacitor on the motor?

Nick :)

I would agree with Alf, capacitor. Usually fitted externally so not a great problem to replace.

ok thanks guys, I wouldnt have thought the actual motor would have gone as its not had a lot of wear, so I will see about replacing the cap & hopefully that will fix it.

Nick :)

Sounds like the capacitor to me. Exact same symptoms with my lathe. If its not under guarantee, shouldn't be expensive.

Aidan

Back