Charnwood 791 Dust Extractor.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paisawood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a Charnwood 2 hp Dust Extractor which generally works well with plenty of suction.

Unfortunately, when thicknessing on a 12 inch planer/thicknesser, the volume of chipping can clog up the input to the extractor, even when making fairly modest cuts in softwood (1 to 2mm across a 75mm width). Even short 6inch boards require to inlet port to be cleared between cuts.

The people at Charnwood suggest taking a hacksaw to the inlet grill of the extractor, and whilst this would probably solve the problem, it does not sound like a very good idea. It would make it even easier to put ones fingers into the fan than at present!

Has anyone else come across this problem, with the Charnwood or with any other make of extractor.

Thanks.

David

David,

is that the w691? We have that in our shop and so far its sucked up everything we have chucked at it no problems.

Occoasinonaly we might get a bit of a blockage at an elbow but never
anything near the inlet on the extractor itself.

Scares the bejeezus out of you when it picks up something hard like a bit of grit or a small screw.

How are you connecting the thicknesser to the extractor?

Cheers

Signal

Hello
I had this same problem with my extractor, the make of which I'm not sure - some generic thing from Woodcut (KUFO ???).
I was always getting blockages at the inlet port especially from my planer thicknesser. I also use the extractor as a general shop vac and I was forever unblocking the port because of a scrap of something or other...
Anyway... I cut of the grill, just because that seemed to be the problem. Works a treat now, and it happily sucks up everything I throw at it.
Presumably the grill is there for a safety reason, so I couldn't advocate this, but really, how often are you likely to open up the inlet port and stick your hand in with the machine running!??

Signal - Extractor is the W791, which is similar to the 691 but with a finer bag and a more heavily rated motor. Connection to the 120mm p/t port is via a 120/100 reducer at the p/t end and 4 metres of transparent hose.

Aragorn - Thanks for reply. Maybe cutting off the grill will be the solution, but not keen and I wondered if anyone else had had a problem with this particular extractor.

David,

Removing the grill will solve your problem, no doubt. But maybe a good idea to get Charnwood to suggest this in writing or an email, just to keep the warranty intact.

Rgds

Noel

David,

doh, a perfect example of taking time to read the subject line
where I would of seen W791.

Ive had a look again and they are identical performance wise apart from the 2mic bag and the orientation of the inlet ports.

The 691 has horizontal ports while the 791 has vertical ports. Maybe the problem could be with the build up of material when the thing winds down settling over the grid.

On the 691 the stuff just falls to the bottom if the tube isnt clear before it winds down.

Sounds like chopping out the grill will help but as noel said, check with charnwood about your warranty. The other thing to think about is with out the grill some of the bigger stuff which gets sucked up, ive lost countless pencils and the odd drill bit up the spout!, may now make it through the grill and hit the fan. KERCHUNK!

Signal

I had the same problem on my Nutool 2hp extractor but it had a grubscrew holding in the grating.I removed the grating ,no more trouble.

Hi

I too have a charnwood extractor and I removed the grill after a couple of days; much better. Motor capacitor went down after a couple of months and charnwood replaced without question or problems.

Back