Charlesworth bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

OK, now we know he lurks, I want a question answered!

I want to build a Charlesworth bench - planning on Iroko for the sub-frame, but have no idea where to get serious quantities of Doussie/Afzelia - so, wandering where he sources it from (or where anyone else would source it). I've seen small amounts, for turning and the like, but not the sizes needed to build a bench. Also, there's some question about the sustainability of Doussie stock - Friends of the Earth have it listed as endangered...so, if it's not gettable, or not environmentally friendly, what's an alternative? I think DC goes for Doussie over beech because it's more stable over the whole gamut of the UK's seasons than beech is - IIRC, the (mis)quote is 'a beech bench top, flattened in spring, will be flat again next spring but will move all over the place in the meantime'

Cheers,
~Esp

(of course, I might sign up for one of the short courses, and ask then!)

nope, doussie is the common name for afzelia (which is the latin genus) - very hard, abrasive, tight grained and stable

Back