Charles Hayward Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not laughing at all.
The whole point of the delightful pamphlet that the design came from was to show how simple tools and common materials could be used to make proper, useful tools. I think you have demonstrated that exactly.
If you have any more photos, please post them!

That is a really nice looking plane and a good job by any standard! Am tempted to make one of those myself.

How did you make the blade?

I had heard about the book and failed to win a couple on Ebay, but your post inspired me to google it and I found a pdf version that I have downloaded from here:

https://toolemera.com/bkpdf/haywardhowtobk.pdf

I notice it contains drawings for a bow saw which is on my list projects.

regards,

Colin

Lovely. I have never seen the pamphlet with the instructions, where was it published?

Page 19 How to Make Woodworking Tools?

Looks better than Hayward probably ever imagined.

Same book that my workbench design was from.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Veering off into the interesting topic of those old Woodworker pamphlets for a moment... This old thread may be of interest to new readers.

hayward-for-beginners-t74650.html

It includes one of my favourite covers, from the days of make-do-and-mend rather than upcycling:

new_wood_old.jpg

a list of the other titles and a link to a Hayward bibliography which dates the Tools one to 1946. It's all a bit complicated as some titles were published undated and many went through several reprints and revisions.

I suspect you would laugh at the tool kit I used. And the wood for that matter. But nonetheless...

It's the final result that counts =D> =D> =D>

Even more impressive if you are using naff kit.

AndyT":bsooqsgt said:
Veering off into the interesting topic of those old Woodworker pamphlets for a moment... This old thread may be of interest to new readers.

hayward-for-beginners-t74650.html

It includes one of my favourite covers, from the days of make-do-and-mend rather than upcycling:

new_wood_old.jpg

a list of the other titles and a link to a Hayward bibliography which dates the Tools one to 1946. It's all a bit complicated as some titles were published undated and many went through several reprints and revisions.
Very nice illustration. I love these old Hayward/Woodworker illustrations.

I did a brief video on one here:

https://youtu.be/6beaG3_Oq6o

Nice video - I agree with all of what you said, especially the bit about how to dress for the workshop! :D

Back