Changing the cutting angle on thicknesser blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a lot of tear-out thicknessing down some zebrano. At nearly 2m finished length, hand-planing is not really an option. It's been suggested to me that rehoning the blades to give a higher cutting angle might help (I've done all the usuals such as new blades, skim cut)...and while I can see that, in theory, it might work, I was wondering if anyone had done this or even how.

To date, I've run it through the thicknesser to get the two faces parallel and then it's over to the drum sander to thickness down ...tedious, to say the least....but it does work.

I have never found the thicknesser to be a finishing machines. I have how ever face ground the knifes to mill figure. You need more HP and on a planer more down pressure. It does work. All the old Wadkin manuals tell you how to do it, but I would send them to the saw doctor for a pro grind(it is some thing you can do your self if your careful to keep the face grind small and above the chip breaker in the block. its the face grind that changes the cutting angle of the knife to the head, note that the back grind changes too and remains 35 for soft wood and 40 for hard.
jointerknifes.jpg

jack

Find someone with a big drum sander and run them through that to get to finished thickness.

J

Latest posts

Back