Changing speed on a pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxhunter

Established Member
Reaction score
It's becoming a pain to change speed on my pillar drill. I am afraid of stretching the belts while levering them off and in any case it takes time to do this.
Is there any sort of electronic speed controller I could use? If there is what speed should be set on the machine?
My main use for this machine is regular wood bits up to 10mm, forstner bits up to 45mm and microplane shapers and drum sanders.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not really answering the question but when changing belt position you would normally reduce the tension/create slack by loosening a sprung plunger to allow the motor to swing in toward the machine. You shouldn't need to lever or stretch.

You can get motor/inverter packages for some machines. The model engineers fit them on lathes quite a bit. Usually, fitting means ditching the existing motor and fitting one matched to the inverter controller.

One supplier is Newton Tesla (they're in Warrington, but supply nationally).

Some of the newer drills are fitted with variable speed control from new, but not the budget models.

As Mike says Foxhunter, levering should not be needed. What make is the drill press?

Roy.

The drill is a Fox. Chosen for the distance between the chuck and the pillar. There are no instructions in the manual for changing speed.
I will check to see if it is possible to swing the motor round.

I too hardly ever changed drill speeds but since I bought a Ryobi I use the correct speed for the job in hand and, yes, it's a whole (?) lot better. :D

foxhunter":30u2lo5v said:
Thanks for the chart CHJ. I already have this. Too many choices!!

Then stick it on something nearing 1000 rpm and forget it :lol:

brick-wall-017.gif

Will that do? :lol:

Roy.

That's a good 'un, and I was suggested
smiley_despair.png
this as well :)

Its amazing how well mood can be displayed with emotions!

monkeybiter":29xedyyy said:
Not really answering the question but when changing belt position you would normally reduce the tension/create slack by loosening a sprung plunger to allow the motor to swing in toward the machine. You shouldn't need to lever or stretch.
Or there's a turnscrew or two on the side of the case which hold the motor in place and a lever to shift it after loosening the turnscrews.
Or possibly some other way to take the tension off.
OP wouldn't be the first to miss the obvious - I got my machine on ebay and the previous owner hadn't sussed it either - the shift lever thing was adrift and the machine had never been used.

If you are just drilling wood with twist drills, I would say that keeping an average speed midrange is just fine.

I drill wood, brass, steel and composites with various types of pointy and shavey things and the need to set the correct speed then becomes pretty important.

I have been known to use one of these (thanks to the kindness of a fellow UKW member!)....

DSC_3471.jpg

....which wouldn't work nearly as well if I couldn't set the correct speed for it.

But if you just drill most woods....mid range is about right.

Jim

I think mine must have come from the same owner Jacob! (hammer)

Roy.

Back