Changing speed on a pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Studders....

It's a WAGNER SAFE-T PLANER which I got from a fellow member here for when I eventually start building an acoustic to keep for myself. It allows for thicknessing very thin wood safely. You need the top speed my press can achieve (and more really)!

ETV...the tests that I have done so far are pretty impressive and because the device is lowered over the stock which is then fed into the blades and the rim prevents any finger entry...even if you tried (though I don't intend to!)...it appears as safe as they say. Although some users are more daring than me...

CLICK for YouTube video of very brave guy :shock:

Feeding is an art but you can take off very small amounts...and the resultant thickness is very consistent.

HERE is an earlier thread on the thing in our very own UKW and how I ended up with this one! Thanks John!

Jim

My pillar drill is used to spin a white grinding wheel for planer knife sharpening so mine also has the speed changed regularly.

Roy.

Hi,

Mine is varible speed it uses expanding pullys like some of the lathes have. It is a discontinued Axminister one I got it off Ebay new from Axminister.
You switch it on and wind the handle to the speed you need, its very good I can't seel why they discontinued it.

Pete

Cost Pete, it's a good system, but expensive to produce.

Roy.

Racers":3cqmnsd8 said:
Hi,

Mine is varible speed it uses expanding pullys like some of the lathes have. It is a discontinued Axminister one I got it off Ebay new from Axminister.
You switch it on and wind the handle to the speed you need, its very good I can't seel why they discontinued it.

Pete

Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that mechanism Pete....

Jim

Digit":3166itqw said:
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=variable%20pulley%20drives&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CGQQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fauto.howstuffworks.com%2Fcvt2.htm&ei=1M8yT8T-Dcz58QOYo_z8Bg&usg=AFQjCNERb_Jm-x4SpEfiVZh96UmqLad4tg&cad=rja

Roy.

Ah yes Roy...the same as on my DeWalt bandsaw.

Got it now!

Jim

Racers":31jc062s said:
Hi,
Pete
Similar system to the Ryobi I mentioned earlier in this thread. I've had it for a while now and wouldn't be without it. :)

jimi43":1sp20tw4 said:
Hi Studders....

It's a WAGNER SAFE-T PLANER which I got from a fellow member here for when I eventually start building an acoustic to keep for myself. It allows for thicknessing very thin wood safely. You need the top speed my press can achieve (and more really)!

Jim
Ta Jim
Looks kinda useful, especially combined with the sanding attachment.

Back