Changing component length in Sketchup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
Using the push-pull tool is obviously easy if I just want to chop a bit off the end of an item in Sketchup, or stretch it, but what if I want to change the length by taking something out of the middle, or adding extra length in the middle?

The scenario is that I start with a drawing of a piece of timber. I draw some joinery on each end. Then I want a similar piece with the same joinery on the ends but shorter (or longer). What is the easiest way to achieve that?

Do you mean a 'component' or a 'Group' ? I don't use 'Components' but with a 'Group', select the item, and [Edit Group]. Select all the elements on the 'end' and use the [Move] along a reference line - be it Axis or another part of the drawing. For a known distance just type in the amount.

Using the push-pull tool is obviously easy if I just want to chop a bit off the end of an item in Sketchup, or stretch it, but what if I want to change the length by taking something out of the middle, or adding extra length in the middle?

The scenario is that I start with a drawing of a piece of timber. I draw some joinery on each end. Then I want a similar piece with the same joinery on the ends but shorter (or longer). What is the easiest way to achieve that?

My "off the top of my head how would I do this" answer is to construct the overall component by making three components - two ends and a middle. You can then break down the component until you're just editing the middle section without affecting the dimensions of the two ends, if they have mitres/dovetails on them for example.

ps if you change the dimension of one component that you copy it'll change it everywhere, so maybe copy the ends and create a new middle section.

Do you mean a 'component' or a 'Group' ? I don't use 'Components' but with a 'Group', select the item, and [Edit Group]. Select all the elements on the 'end' and use the [Move] along a reference line - be it Axis or another part of the drawing. For a known distance just type in the amount.
Excellent! I typically use components rather than groups but I have no reason why I have to do that so your method very easily solves my problem.

Pleased you like it! - I seldom re-use an item I've drawn so I've not seen the need for 'Components', and I certainly wouldn't want other items changing just because I'd made an [Edit]. Whereas I use groups for pretty much everything.

Back