Changing belt drives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve evans

Reaction score
Hi all
Does anyone have experience of replacing cutter block drive belts on a wadkin bursgreen 12” thicknesser? I’m having trouble getting them off the pulleys.
Regards Steve

Unless there is something strange on this machine, normal practise would be to loosen the motor mount and slide to slacken the belt. NEVER EVER lever the belts off over the pulley flanges without slackening the tension first.
Re-tension so the belt can just move +/- 1/2" or can just be twisted 90 degrees. Any tighter and damage can occur.

Unless there is something strange on this machine, normal practise would be to loosen the motor mount and slide to slacken the belt. NEVER EVER lever the belts off over the pulley flanges without slackening the tension first.
Re-tension so the belt can just move +/- 1/2" or can just be twisted 90 degrees. Any tighter and damage can occur.

Thanks, I’ll try it that way. The difficulty I’m facing is in slipping the belts past the end of the cutter block shaft, there is not much clearance between it and the casing.

Sometimes if you wedge the belt against the casing and shaft end, then rotate the shaft by hand and the belt should walk out.
If you fit new cogged belts they might be easier to insert using a similar method.
hth

Latest posts

Back